Phone is dead after quick water drop

sndemars

Reaction score
My Droid was dropped in the tub yesterday and retrieved it within a second. I took everything out right away and dried what little water was in there. After following the suggestions for drying it out completely, it still doesn't even turn on. I can't believe it would go bad with a quick drop and dry, when most people say their phone ends up working OK in similar cases.

Should I assume it is now just a paper weight and get another one? I did not get insurance, and realize this will cost me. I got it back in November with a 2 year Verizon contract. Can anyone tell me what my best/least expensive option is for replacement? I am assuming I can not just go on eBay and get a used one for cheap and transfer my service (seems too easy).

This is my first Smart Phone....any advice is appreciated!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you tried to turn it on to soon you may have shorted it. Water plus electronics isn't nearly as bad as water plus electronics plus electrical current. I would try leaving it in a bag of silica for a day or two with the battery removed and see if it works after about 48 hours. If not I would start looking for a cheap phone on eBay if you don't have insurance or an aavailable upgrade.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sacnotsack

Reaction score
The samething happened to me with the original Droid. I imediately removed from the water, removed the battery cover, battery, and SD card. Then I placed the phone in a bowl of white rice, dry of course, for two days. After that it worked flawlessly. Now if your phone is down for the count you can look on eBay, Craigslist or just Google. There was a site I heard of a while back where you can buy\sell used cell phones. I think there was an article on Droid-life.com about it. But it was many many months ago, so I am not quite sure. Good luck to you, and may your phone rest in peace.

Sent from my DINC2 using DroidForums

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
You should of left it in rice for a full day. You can't really get everything dry especially internally where everything is at. If you tried to turn it on after you thought it was dry you might of fried your phone. Leave it in rice for a full 24 hours including the battery (keep them separated) and then try it the next day. You might have a paper weight on your hands all you can do is hope it isn't

Sent From A Supercharged Modded X

OP
S

sndemars

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will wait a couple days before getting another one. I don't think I can transfer my contract to a phone purchased from a 3rd party though.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
That site for used (lightly used) android phones is swappa, just google swappa android. I kept it bookmarked for some reason....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

draexo

Reaction score
You tried to turn it on too soon. You should have waited 48 hours at least

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

rosso

Reaction score
Be patient, give it a couple of days. Hopefully u didn't fry it by trying to turn it on too soon.
After a couple of days give it one more. Then put the battery back on and hope for the best. While u are waiting check the web for a used reolacement. Even if it comes back it could still die on u in a day a week a month or not at all.

Ross

Sent from my rooted Droid X (FROYO)