Phone is acing weird

Raditude

Reaction score
Droid 2 is acting weird

I am having two issues with my phone. They all started after I downloaded an app from the market that lets you locate your phone by sending a text. The app didn't work because I use Google Voice, and have standard texting blocked.

After I deleted the program I keep getting a message popup every few minutes, no matter what I'm doing, that says "Failed to update my location - no signal." and the screen will not automatically go dark.

For the screen staying on, I verified that the backlight is to timeout after 30 seconds. I have noticed when I have it charging, where it's set to always stay on, that it dims, but brightens back up every so often.

For the "Failed to update my location - no signal." I have used a task killer to stop all tasks. It seems to only do it when I'm connected to WiFi. I have GPS turned off, since there is nothing I want to constantly update a location for. I can't figure out what is trying to update. I Googled the phrase and someone suggests that it's part of Weatherbug Elite, but it gets my location just fine.

I've tried reseting my phone (Shift+Alt+Del) but that doesn't fix the problems.

Droid 2 Rooted
Stock Rom
Android Version 2.2

Last edited:

ivangorod

Reaction score
I was thinking that message was Weatherbug Elite as well since every time I go into the app I end up getting the message. I also notice that my Facebook "Check In" feature takes forever to get a fix on where I am and then it is off by quite a bit. My wife has the same phone as I do (Thunderbolt) and her apps that use GPS are working fine. I think it has something to do with the phone more than any particular app. I'm not having and success with tweaking GPS setting so I'm probably going to reset my phone and see if that helps clear things up. I'll check back if it helps me at all.

ivangorod

Reaction score
Doing a reset on my phone seems to have fixed the Location issues. I no longer get that message when going into Weatherbug Elite. Not exactly ideal to have to do that but everything loaded back up real quick so no big deal.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the where's my droid app and this issue hasn't come up for me. Not sure what it could be. If you don't want to do a reset, you may have to go through deleting apps one by one to find the culprit

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good God yes get rid of the task killer!

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Get rid of the task killer.

Good God yes get rid of the task killer!

Theres nothing wrong with HAVING a task killer, its how you use it that is the problem. The problem is most people have them set to auto-kill or they randomly go in and kill all there apps for no reason. Using a task killer to kill a malfunctioning app is just fine. Even google them selves have documented this. Hell on my Moto backflip I had to kill all unnecessary apps to get the smoothest experience possible out of angry birds and block it from 3G/WiFi access using Droid Wall. On low/mid range phone like that sometimes a task killer is almost a requirement.