Phone Idle and Battery Usage

AZgolfer

Reaction score
Yesterday I let my Droid X2 completely discharge (based a couple threads I read about educating your battery). I charged it over night and removed it from the charger at 8:15 this morning. At 2:15 this afternoon, 6 hours later I show 90% (6 hours and 12 minutes) of battery available. The only thing I've done in those six hours is hit the home key twice to check the time. My "phone idle" usage shows 80% and the "cell standby" shows 14%. Adding the time since removal from the charger to the available time left, that shows I'm only getting 12 hours of battery life, even though I didn't use the phone for anything. Does this seem normal?

shaggykid

Reaction score
I would be ecstatic to get 12 hours. I only get like 4 hours on my droid x.

Granted I'm constantly on ky phone

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

ELH

Reaction score
If you're at 90% after 6 hours then you will get about 48 hours assuming you let it sit. There is no "Battery Available" indicator, I think you are just seeing the "Time on Battery" or the time that the usage graph last updated.

The phone idle and cell standy readings are normal.

I get a good 48 hours out of mine with light use, a wifi connection, and the extended battery.

infantry667

Reaction score
Well just like they said, being at 90% after 6 hours of screen off really is not bad at all, HOWEVER, phone idle should NOT show as 80% of the battery usage unless the phone is very new and has not had enough battery history to give accurate readings. If this is the case you have nothing to worry about, the phone needs time to gather usage info so it can calibrate the battery and give you accurate battery usage readings. If this is not the case and you have had the phone for a decent amount of time and it is showing the phone idle battery usage as that high of a percentage then the best thing to do is download SetCPU and set cpu screen off profile and turn the CPU usage waaaay down, preferably as low as possible, and enable profiles, that is of course ONLY if your phone is rooted, if not then I don't know what else to tell you besides root that sucker, use SetCPU and flash a new rom.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Hulkified X2

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yesterday I let my Droid X2 completely discharge (based a couple threads I read about educating your battery). I charged it over night and removed it from the charger at 8:15 this morning. At 2:15 this afternoon, 6 hours later I show 90% (6 hours and 12 minutes) of battery available. The only thing I've done in those six hours is hit the home key twice to check the time. My "phone idle" usage shows 80% and the "cell standby" shows 14%. Adding the time since removal from the charger to the available time left, that shows I'm only getting 12 hours of battery life, even though I didn't use the phone for anything. Does this seem normal?

The percentages shown are not amount of battery used, they are time in state. Cell standby 14% means that 14% of the total time on battery the radio was in standby mode. Phone idle 80% means 80% of the time on battery the phone has been idle. When a phone is idle it is consuming the minimum amount of power necessary in order to remain turned on and ready to use. A higher phone idle % simply means nothing has been running while the screen was off and the phone is running as efficiently a possible.

Sent from my Android device.

infantry667

Reaction score
That's if it reads per charge which is what the battery usage levels in settings are, they show what has been running the most per charge like you said time in state. If that's the case then there isn't a problem. What I'm saying is if he's using an app to see what is using the most battery power to run and its saying phone idle is using more battery than say the display, when its on, then either something is wrong or he just needs to let his phone calibrate longer so be can get correct readings.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Hulkified X2