Phone got wet

stevenjf88

Reaction score
Phone was submerged for a second or two. Stop working, wont turn on anymore. Just curious as to what part of the phone actually get damaged in a case like this? I tried the bowl of rice method with no luck. Is there any particular part I could look into replacing?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Nope. When it's wet you have two things to look at. First is the water damage sticker. If it's at all altered then you're looking at number two; the phone number for the insurance company. :(

If the sticker is altered then you can't go to the store and BS your way into a free replacement (insurance fraud, so don't do it even if you can). It's $90 co-pay time.

OP
S

stevenjf88

Reaction score
There is no insurance. Then phone was given to me. Nothing else I can try? Internal?

hoppermi

Reaction score
I did this once and it was the battery that was fried. Take it to the store and see if tech support will try a different battery before you buy one.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How long did you leave it in the bowl of rice? Rice isnt the best desiccant, Id leave it in for several days, maybe a week. I had an old audiovox phone I dropped in a bucket, and I took the battery out and left it on top of my TV for a week. The heat of the TV was enough to dry the phone out.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yes, sometimes the battery gets fried. The folks in the store should be able to swap batteries for you to at least test it. The Eris and the Incredible take the same battery, so that should be stop 1.

Sorry, I keep forgetting about that.

Reaction score
Proper dessicant works best to dry it out. Although a week buried in several cups of rice may do the trick if simple moisture is the problem.

To answer your initial question: When water is introduced to an energized circuit often the components themselves are ruined.

Sometimes a battery is the problem but not often. (Still try though)

Check your homeowners or renters insurance - Electronics are often times covered.

--------------------------------------
So tell me Future Boy, who's President of The United States in 1985?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Phone got wet, it dried up and started up fine, data on 4G works fine and so does wifi, but can not make phone calls, is the phone broke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Sorry to hear that. Do you have insurance? If not look on the bright side at least you still have a working mini tablet and not a paper weight.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

acejavelin

Reaction score
Try a factory reset... if that doesn't work consider and insurance claim, the $100 is usually worth it, if you don't have it I think open enrollment into Asurion is coming up in a couple months (usually March if I remember correctly) maybe you can skate by on a cheap phone for little bit if you are not ready to upgrade soon.