Phone Got Wet, Touch Screen Works but Screen Does Not

Odji

Reaction score
The other day, I was sick. I have a Thunderbolt 4G, and was eating soup. Some soup spilled on my phone, and the screen started to flicker. I pulled the battery, and dried the phone in the sun while we went to get a bag of rice. I put the battery back in, and the screen seemed to come on, flicker a little, but was useable. I put the phone in rice for several days, and when I pulled it out, the screen flickered like it did before, but then completely went blank. The touch screen still works, I can adjust the volume, and even take calls (if I get it just right), but the screen is black. I took it apart, and cleaned the rice out of the insides. There is a copper sheet inside that seems to have a bit of stuff on it, and the silver part across from the copper had a bit of stuff. I cleaned the silver, checked all the connections, put it back together, and the screen still does not work, but the touch screen does.

I read in a previous post that someone suggested charging the phone a bit, as it might help. I am doing that now. Is there anything else I can do? I have insurance on it, but there were texts I wanted to save from it.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Try this, I don't have any experience with it, but it was all that I could find that didn't look like it required the phone to be working.
Veryandroid.com

OP
O

Odji

Reaction score
Try this, I don't have any experience with it, but it was all that I could find that didn't look like it required the phone to be working.
Veryandroid.com

Has anyone tried this before? The site reminds me of those "pc cleaner" sorts of sites.

JRParsons

Reaction score
The other thing I read trying to find a solution for you was a guy found someone with the exact same phone and was able to put them side by side and blindly forward his text messages to a friend.
If your Thunderbolt was rooted, you would be able to access the files that contain your texts just using windows explorer.
If you can manage to install and use an app, SMS Backup will forward your texts to your Gmail account.

Lastly, sometimes once a phone dries out things start to work again.
Good luck.