Phone Getting Warm...almost hot

hotdoggy

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with their Droid X getting really warm? Almost to the point of being too hot to handle.

It happened while downloading aps and again when taking multiple photos. It's mostly on the lower back side of the phone but radiates.

Verizon switched the battery and it didn't seem to help. We tried to look for a new phone to replace it but none in stock.

just4747

Reaction score
Yes mine gets very warm when the screen is on for long...no GPS on at all.

Is this normal?

Ive had the battery monitor widget say up to 105 degrees F a few times.

EgooEspada

Reaction score

Is this normal?

It gets like that with most phones with metal, but not for a while and usually doesn't get high temp reads. It might just be your phone. Try letting it die out and charge it back up fully. See if the problem still exist..

just4747

Reaction score
Anyone else? I can confirm that the back (but right below the battery door) gets very hot usually after using it for 10+ minutes sometimes (more often than not).

The battery widget I'm using has shown the battery temp. reach as high as 110 degrees F, although again I feel the heat right below the battery door so I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is the battery or phone.

BCK

Reaction score
Anyone else? I can confirm that the back (but right below the battery door) gets very hot usually after using it for 10+ minutes sometimes (more often than not).

The battery widget I'm using has shown the battery temp. reach as high as 110 degrees F, although again I feel the heat right below the battery door so I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is the battery or phone.

Are you on 1X a lot? Are you outdoor? What is your display backlight setting? auto or Max?

In outdoor, the display backlight will auto adjust to Super bright to compensate for the Sunlight and the phone will get hot easily. 1X network and poor RF will be another reason for it.

I suspect is the Verizon network overloading at the moment causing network connection contention and thus phone will output higher and higher power to try to get the data through. Wait for a few more days till the massive user settle down and I bet it will be much better.

woztat

Reaction score
Yes. My Droid X also has the same issue. After downloading 10+ apps, it was too hot to handle right below the battery door.

Are you on 1X a lot? Are you outdoor? What is your display backlight setting? auto or Max?

In outdoor, the display backlight will auto adjust to Super bright to compensate for the Sunlight and the phone will get hot easily. 1X network and poor RF will be another reason for it.

I suspect is the Verizon network overloading at the moment causing network connection contention and thus phone will output higher and higher power to try to get the data through. Wait for a few more days till the massive user settle down and I bet it will be much better.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Is this normal?

It gets like that with most phones with metal, but not for a while and usually doesn't get high temp reads. It might just be your phone. Try letting it die out and charge it back up fully. See if the problem still exist..

This is the correct response. Download a widget called battery life and so long as the temp of the battery doesn't go over like 118 for an extended period of time don't worry about it.

These things get left in cars in the Summer. The processor is built to take heat. True, it can overheat but what you guys describe is normal.

Those of us who have our Droids overclocked have our phones running hot frequently. You'll be fine

kevroc

Reaction score
I've been running my phone with wifi extensively this morning and it hasn't even really gotten warm. It seemed warmer when I took it off the charger but I haven't even noticed it now.

the064cobra

Reaction score
Mine gets warm when i download and also when I have all the radios on (GPS, WiFi, Blue Tooth)... and as extensively I use it for social networking and email, it did get very warm.

PS: I'm really unhappy with the battery life especially when I use my phone as much as I do....

DiscoStu9

Reaction score
I noticed this heat issue yesterday as well, in 2 situations.

1. When trasfering a huge video file, it got a little warm.
2. It got def borderline hot, on the back and bottom of device, when I was playing a game for an hour or so. 3D chip in the back and very bottom perhaps?

kpate96

Reaction score
Mine is definately getting hot

I have been using mine on a roadtrip in the Droid X Car Dock.
The highest I saw it get was 125.6 F (52C).

It seems like having the screen on full time is part of the issue, but that is the point of the Car dock..... using it like a GPS....

I was running GPS, Bluetooth at times, and Navigation.

Also I noticed that the phone isn't charging while in the dock. I don't think the Car adapter (the one they gave me at the VZW store is the one that supposedly has enough juice to charge two phones at the same time - it has a USB plug) supplies enough power to the phone for it to charge while it has its screen on and different radios on. Has anyone else noticed this?

J

Johnly

Has anyone had a problem with their Droid X getting really warm? Almost to the point of being too hot to handle.

It happened while downloading aps and again when taking multiple photos. It's mostly on the lower back side of the phone but radiates.

Verizon switched the battery and it didn't seem to help. We tried to look for a new phone to replace it but none in stock.
hotdoggy! Sure haven't...hot-doggy! Cmon? anyone buying your user name and post? rofl.....post what happened when you took the phone back? what did verizon say? Is it like an apple phone? Melting?

Reaction score
I have gotten the phone to have 115 surface temp right by the speaker, and I thought 109 was hot on my Storm damn.