Phone getting hOTter than Tabasco during GOOGLE NAV.

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by awsolot, Jul 31, 2011.

1. awsolot

awsolot New Member

So I traveled to VA from CT this weekend..6hr drive. I decided I was gonna test out google nav. At the time I was running Cyanogen 6.1. About 2 hours into the drive the navigation froze up and the phone rebooted. I took the phone out the cradle and my phone was hot as h3ll. I was like OK no biggy, lets try it again about 3 hours passed and the nav was moving very slow, it wasn't keepin up with me at all so I was missing my turns and exits. Eventually I got lost and had to resort to a friends HTC sensation to find my way. Anyway when I got to my destination I wiped the droid and installed a backup of Liquid. Liquid was unable to find my location when I launched maps. I tried soft and hard resets. I even left the phone running overnight and still no fix on my location. I got worried that I may have somehow fried my GPS chip so again I wiped and installed a later backup of the Liquid RoM and gps was working again. After a few days in VA I decided I would use this ROM to navigate back home within a hour of the trip phone frooze up again and got extremely hot. I got frustrated and finished out the trip with the Sensation. Right now I'm thinking of going back to stock and test gps again to see if I may have possible damaged something internal within the phone.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
  2. mmead1143

mmead1143 New Member

I've never run the Nav that long but I too have noticed my D1 getting hot using the app. I've only used it around Orlando...say for 20-35 minutes but the temp is noticeably higher when I get to my destination.
  3. REMilk

REMilk New Member

I have used mine for 550 mile trips between Richmond, VA and Cape Cod and 725 mile trips between Richmond and Florida (in the summer). My Droid also gets hot and once shut down.

The Droid gets hot when apps are constantly running, such as when you are using Google Navigator/GPS. Combine this temperature rise with the hot sun on a car dash and your Droid may slow down or in some cases shut down.

I am able to mount my Droid on the dash so that one of the A/C vents blows cold air onto the front of my Droid when in the up position. I separated the top vane of the passenger vent so it always blows up regardless of the position of the rest of the vents. Do not try this unless you can live with a broken vent as you can easily break your vent by doing this!

Since I made sure the Droid has cooled air blowing on it, I have had no overheating problems when using Google Navigator/GPS.

Bob
  4. takeshi

takeshi New Member

It's may just be the GPS receiver. Try downloading something like GPS Status and clear/reset your aGPS data. That always resolves my GPS fix issues on my Droid. GPS Status is also very handy just for seeing what's going on with your receiver as it reports which and how many satellites the receiver is picking up, signal strengths, lock status, aGPS data info, etc.

GPS and charging (which you need to do to prevent GPS from killing your battery) will cause heat. If you're OC'ed that won't help matters. Sitting in the sun doesn't help either. If possible, see if you can place your device in front of an AC vent. Even running the stock kernel included with BB can cause my Droid to overheat when using GPS for road trips.

I doubt anything's damaged. Your battery will suffer from heat far before the other components.
  5. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Make sure that when your driving and using the NAV your phone is not exposed to the sun, if it is cover it, also if you are charging it the whole time it will add to the temp as well.
  6. shanan2463

shanan2463 New Member

I have D1 CM7 as well and yes it get very very hot( may be 130 F)! I sleep with it so I can feel heat ;) My concern is whether it damages any internal components? I do use TOR and runs almost all day, even when I don't browse....is it the reason?
Search tags for this page

droid3 gps hot