Phone freezing & apps quitting

Terra

Reaction score
Limegreen:

Nice screen name, one of my favorite colors! Anyway, I have experieinced the same problems as you have at one point or another and its normally due to third party apps causing some sort of conflicts with the operating system. So here is what I normally do:

1. Try to identify the apps I recently downloaded and try to remember if I noticed the issue before or after I downloaded these apps.

2. Next, I power cyle the phone (just turn it off, wait for a few seconds, then turn it back on). If that doesn't help, then a perform a battery pull. I repeat this process sometimes 3 or 4 times consecutively and it normally in combination with step 2 solves my issues.

3. I use an app killer to turn off the apps that I think are causing the problem to see if it solves the issue. It's also a good rule of thumb to use an app killer anyway. Many third party apps turn on automatically and run in the background. This can cause a signifcant performance decrease especially if you have DL a lot of apps (like me) and a lot of them are running in the background. For instance, I've downloaded approx 30 apps, and at any given time a dozen or more automatically turn on and run in the phone's background. I've been toying with my phone enough to tell that when it begins to lag in between home screen transations, open apps slowly, or FC that normally I have numerous apps running in the background and normally that is the case. It's been my experience when I turn the apps I'm not using off the phone reverts to normal. However, sometimes this doesn't work; thus, you have to try to figure out the problem through trial and error.

4. Now here is the subjective part. If the disabling the apps fixes the problems, then you can either uninstall them all, or re-enable the apps then disable them one by one until you replicate the issue and unstall that app, or just to put up with the FC if you really like the app (which is what I do most often).

5. Lastly, if none of the steps above resolve the issue you can reset the phone through the settings menu, have it diagnosed by a VZW tech, which if they can replicate the problem, cannot find a way to reslove the problem, and determine that the phone has not gotten wet, dropped, or anything else that voids the man. warranty, then they normally will replace the phone.

If been in the telecom industry for over 7 years and I realize that some people will not have the same level of expertise as I or a "techy" would; therefore, I tried to make the instructions as clear and as detailed as possible. I hope this helps.