Phone freezing & apps quitting

liimegreeen

Reaction score
I find it really irritating that my Droid sometimes freezes or has apps quit. Does anyone know if Droid programmers (or whoever) are working on this problem? My boyfriend, who has an iPhone, always laughs at me when this happens to my supposed "iPhone Killer" because his phone never does that.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Is your phone factory default? If not, then you can probably blame the issues on poorly written third party apps you have installed.

OP
L

liimegreeen

Reaction score
^ No it's not, but I notice the quitting/freezing happening a lot when I rotate the phone, use the camera, or use factory default apps (or whatever you call them).

get quad

Reaction score
Don't rule out you have a bad phone. My first one had issues but the replacement has been rock solid.

daddyd302

Reaction score
I find it really irritating that my Droid sometimes freezes or has apps quit. Does anyone know if Droid programmers (or whoever) are working on this problem? My boyfriend, who has an iPhone, always laughs at me when this happens to my supposed "iPhone Killer" because his phone never does that.

Just because he got lucky doesn't mean other iphones don't have the same issues. My iphone 3G had tons of issues from freezing , to songs skipping, screen won't respond to my touch, and the phone restarting for no reason. You can laugh at his crappy network, drop calls and slow internet speed.

I've been with sprint for 4 years and had 4 drop calls. I've been with AT&T for 1 1/2 years and dropped a call at least once every day. Sometimes it'll take up to 30 seconds before the iphone will ring after dialing. So far so good on the Droid.

You either got some very crappy apps, or your phone is defected. Restore your phone to factory default and see if it still freezes.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just because he got lucky doesn't mean other iphones don't have the same issues. My iphone 3G had tons of issues from freezing , to songs skipping, screen won't respond to my touch, and the phone restarting for no reason. You can laugh at his crappy network, drop calls and slow internet speed.

I've been with sprint for 4 years and had 4 drop calls. I've been with AT&T for 1 1/2 years and dropped a call at least once every day. Sometimes it'll take up to 30 seconds before the iphone will ring after dialing. So far so good on the Droid.

You either got some very crappy apps, or your phone is defected. Restore your phone to factory default and see if it still freezes.

+1, Droids don't behave like that. Great suggestion

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
One thing I learned from WinMo is that you have to be able to kill tasks. Not all apps are created equal, and one of the BIGGEST shortcomings with Market is that it doesn't effectively filter what is compatible with Android 2.0, 1.5, etc. You have to really read the user comments before you choose most of your apps. That said, try Advanced Task Killer from the market. See if killing unnecessary apps helps. Especially ones that might compete, like weather apps. If that doesn't work, factory data reset should do the trick.

baruch

Reaction score
Don't rule out you have a bad phone. My first one had issues but the replacement has been rock solid.
that's my issue - do i return??? would seem that would receive another from same batch so no guaranty that new Droid would solve problem. hate to return if my "issues" are both known & solvable via updates: 1. have had a couple of "screen locks", i.e., "unresponsive" to my touch; 2. also, a couple of times, would not "UNsleep" until plugged in, even with having a charge of 30% left; 3. the LARGEST issue - when put phone in pocket or pick up, the screen "rotates", more often than not, with seemingly a mind of its own!!????? for ex. i could remove phone from pocket & the home screen will have rotated to the calculator. aware the droid very sensitive to the touch, but this seems odd; therefore, is this a defected DROID????

namkoob

Reaction score
I have a brand new Motorola Droid and have downloaded voice dialer and voice dialer HF and both start up and then almost immediately shut down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

get quad

Reaction score
I have a brand new Motorola Droid and have downloaded voice dialer and voice dialer HF and both start up and then almost immediately shut down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!
why would you download a voice dialer when that is already part of the OS?

Look for 'Voice Search' on your phone, run it, then say "call John Doe at home" :reddroid:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Voice Dialer HF has a web site, and google is your friend.:)

namkoob

Reaction score
why would you download a voice dialer when that is already part of the OS?

Look for 'Voice Search' on your phone, run it, then say "call John Doe at home" :reddroid:

Thank you. I have tried that but, Voice Search goes to the browser only and will not retieve a contact. What am I doing wrong? Many thanks.

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Same problems with my Droid too (freezing / apps quitting), but I have had this happen to my only a few times since 2.01. Still, even this shouldn't be happening.