Phone freezes and locks up

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by 1324, Oct 23, 2011.

1. 1324

1324 New Member

Over the past week or so, my Commando has gotten a little flaky. There are random occurrences where the phone loses signal - the best way I can put it. Despite using the phone to call/text/surf a few minutes prior, the phone loses connection to everything: no radio coverage, no wifi, nothing. Only a reboot brings it back.

BUT, the hitch here is that the first reboot doesn't always work. Sometimes it will freeze up mid-boot, or crash immediately after rebooting. Last night it took me 3 attempts to reboot. This is unacceptable.

The random crash is just that - random. I can't seem to pinpoint what is going on, because usually it occurs when I go to unlock the screen or slide across my home pages.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm on GB, 2.3.3.

Thanks!
  2. cbreze

cbreze New Member

I have not had this happen, but if I had I would look to any apps I installed just previous to this starting up. If not the case then I would do a hard reset and reload carefully, maybe trying the phone for a bit before reloading to much. If you complain to Verizon about it this is what they would tell you to do. Other than that if it's do-able to get a replacement under warranty then go that route.
    If you've had any serious drops or anything else out of the ordinary than those are another possibility. Mine's been fine, but even tho it's rugged i baby the crap out of it as with all my stuff. Good Luck!
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

1324, you've been given some excellent advice here!!! Well done cbreze!!
  4. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

BLACKTOOTHGRIN New Member

I've been having issues with my phone lagging and running choppy this last week as well.
    I have not found a fix yet.
    I also know of another person on a different forum that has started experiencing similar
    problems with his in this past week.
    It's starting to seem like these aren't just isolated incidents.
    (to me anyway)

Just out of curiosity, how long have you had your phone?
    Also...how long have you had the GB update on your phone?
  5. 1324

1324 New Member

I've had the phone for about 6 weeks. I've been on GB for 3 weeks maximum.
  6. stitan06

stitan06 New Member

i to have had it lock up sometimes
  7. cbreze

cbreze New Member

Mine's been fantastic(knock wood). I've had it since May. GB on it for about 3 weeks. FWIW: I never shut it off, reboot occasionally initiated by me.
    Sometimes we just get some weird thing loaded that maybe came along with some app we D/L'd. If my phone was getting to the point that it was really pissing me off by random reboots, freezes, over all laggyness etc. I'd do a hard reset if a good house cleaning had no affect. Over time we get alot of junk stuff and we don't always know what runs underneath it in the background that might affect the phones performance. Even deleting those apps does not fully guarantee a complete 100% good riddance to it.
    I'm assuming those with issues are monitoring their available RAM and other memory? If you see those drop too low it's an invitation to all of the above issues.
  8. stitan06

stitan06 New Member

if you do a hard reset does it change all the stuff you have selected or delete apps or anything like that
  9. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Interesting....
    I've had mine the same amount of time.

Are you running alot of apps?
    Do you install/uninstall frequently?
  10. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

I agree with you 100% Cbreze.
    However...I'm not one that changes apps like underwear.
    My problems started somewhat randomly.
    The only true way of knowing is to do the reset,
    which I'm avoiding as much as I can....obviously.:smile-b:
  11. BayouFlyFisher

I've been installing roms like a crazy man on my original Droid (wife has it now) and now on my Bionic. I wipe everything prior to rom installation. So, I'm starting from zero every other day or so. And so far, Google has been terrific at getting all of my apps (paid and free) reinstalled automatically and even some of my settings. I always stop prior to adding my gmail account and connect my wifi. That lets the Gmail sign in go well and lets apps download quickly and easily.

Make sure you have Backup and Restore checked in Privacy in the settings menu prior to doing the reset. In fact if those two things aren't initially checked, give the phone a little time to sync with Google before doing the reset.

Good luck.
  12. 1324

1324 New Member

So I've been thinking of rooting my phone up until this happened. Would it be wise to iron out these kinks, or doesn't it matter? Would it possibly help?
  13. BayouFlyFisher

Well, I've rooting and roming for years now and I always tell folks that if you are unsure whether to root or not, then don't. My rule of thumb, this is personally for me (YMMV), I do not root nor install a rom until there is a very, very safe way to recover the phone should I screw up and end up with a soft-brick or a boot loop or stuck at the M screen, etc. If the Commando has such support it is at least not very dangerous, but it is always time consuming. On some phones rooting and freezing bloatware makes a substantial difference in "snappiness" and in others, like my Bionic, I found it made almost no difference. On the other hand, I did not like the appearance of the stock phone and the rom I installed has everything themed to a very pleasant blue color. So, believe it or not, but I did all that first of all for the appearance. I've now been able to improve the weird data connectivity issue that a lot of Bionics were experiencing.

If you decide to root/rom just read enough first to make sure you absolutely understand what each step is and what it does and what to expect. It is not for to be taken lightly. There are things you can do that will turn you phone into a brick (you know, all the functionality of a brick (i.e. none) and all of this does void your warranty!! "This way be dragons"!!
Search tags for this page

casio commando freezes up

casio commando freezing

casio commando locking up

casio g zone phone locking up
casio g'zone commando locks up
casio gzone commando flip phone freezing up
casio smartphone locks up
g'zone commando locks up
gzone commando randomly freezes
how to fix a locked up casio register
verizon gzone phone locks up