Phone for the 'Rents

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pronghornrunner, Mar 25, 2011.

1. pronghornrunner

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would tap the collective brain-power around here on this one...

My parents want to run their home computer internet connection off of a tethered smartphone. This was my suggestion and fits their situation well as they cannot get cable/DSL in their area, but have a 3G signal (figure that one out, right?).

So, what phone would you recommend for running a tethered computer through consistently?

Any additional thoughts are appreciated!

2. titans

titans Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    None of the above...if they're in a 4g area, Thunderbolt...if you pay for the tethering option, 4g should tether fine...not sure about rooted tether though.

3. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    This thread is going to be watched closely.

4. pronghornrunner

Ratings:
    +0
    If it is going to cause flames or problems, you have my complete consent to shut it down. I'm not up on the politics between the fan-clubs of phones, so I leave it in your hands.

5. Gritwater

Gritwater Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the droid x and I have been tethering exclusively for about a year on the various droix devices I have owned (droid 1,droid 2, and droid x) I am single and noone else uses the connection so paying 60$ a month for home inet was rediculous.
    Here are your options..
    1. Both devices need to purchase either easytether pro or pdanet so either device can be used for tethering. Its just a one time purchase so buying it twice is a minimal investment.
    2. Root both phones and get wireless tether for both phones.

Why the thread is being watched is because some think tethering is stealing or violates your terms of service. A lot of scare tactics will be used here very shortly, none of which have ever happened. All I can say though is it works great for me. Just whichever way you tether...make sure both phones can do it because if its on dads phone and he's at walmart....mom has to wait til his phone comes back if his is the only one that can tether

texting and driving on my Droid X...thanks tapatalk

#5 Gritwater, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. kota

kota New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    PDA net works wonders for me on my rooted droidR2 unit