Phone for my mother

whopua

Reaction score
I'm looking for a solid android phone for my mother. Mid 50s - first smart phone. I've always had and will always go android because I love them. Had the OG and now the GNex. I want her to go android because of the sync and connectivity she'd have with my sis and I. I'm leaning, however, towards an iPhone for a couple reasons. First the size. It's perfect for her. 2nd the OS. Apple is dumbed down enough for a person of her age.
My question is this; is there a comparable phone in android that is of similar size (4in or below) with solid hardware and good battery life? Oh! And it is for Verizon!
Thanks everyone!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just got my mom the Razr M. Nice big display but overall a very small footprint. The learning curve is a bit steeper than the iboring but she is actually having fun with it!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
inc2 is only thing that comes to mind..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you really want to give Android a shot, I think the Razr M would be the a good choice. Good size, awesome display, smooth thanks to hardware/JB, and good camera. My parents each got the i4s and they love their phones too, but for their uses (camera, texting, calling, and occasional email) Android can do as good a job. And if your mom is anything like my mom, it doesn't matter which OS she gets, you're going to have to take the time to explain to her:D

The two phones basically have the same layout if you set it up that way and both can be as difficult to use, especially if they aren't too familiar/comfortable with tech. Indeed, iOS is a bit more user-friendly, but to someone new to smartphones there really aren't too many significant differences between the two OSs for basic users, such as my parents. They also use their iphones as their mp3 players when they go hiking so having a "iPod experience" on their phone was also good for them.
The only downside in my case, and with it being the holiday season, I'm reminded daily from my mom "the iPhone takes better pictures", yes mother, I get it, you have the superior camera:wacko:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I really want my mom to go into an Android phone as well, but I've heard of issues syncing Outlook with Android. She has a Roadrunner email address, along with one for her business. I was thinking of trying to get her into a Windows phone simply because of the ease of use along with Outlook integration.
She says she wants an iPhone, and I think it's just because she is used to the OS because of her iTouch. I just purchased her the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 as a Christmas gift, so we'll see if she can handle that. She's not so good with operating electronics. lol

Dolly

Reaction score
As a 61 year old mom I am loving reading these comments! I had the OG Droid and now the bionic. I am not really very techie, not rooted, but have been able to figure out my phone pretty much on my own, but also with a lot of help from everyone here on the forum. Not my son, who has an iphone. Thanks for the smile and all the help!