Phone for Elderly Parents

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
My elderly parents are still using flip phones (yeah, drives me nuts too) and I'm seriously thinking about upgrading them into something they might actually be able to read the screens on. I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and what the outcome was? Were your parents able to figure it out fairly quickly or am I setting myself up for a nightmare of constant questions and pocket/purse dials?
All in all, my folks are still very bright and I think they would love having apps for recipes, YouTube videos, and getting pictures texted to them, but I also am smart enough to know this may not be all sunshine and happy days transitioning them into 2017...
Thoughts, opinions, advice, and prayers would all be greatly appreciated!

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Start them on the easy limited mode, then progress to more functionality. Great thing about Android is the screen can be full or just a few items

Sent by my new S7-Edge

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
You can get a real cheap phone to start with, if they love it, it's an easy thing to go big, there are great Prepay cheap phones.

Sent by my new S7-Edge

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
You can get a real cheap phone to start with, if they love it, it's an easy thing to go big, there are great Prepay cheap phones.

Sent by my new S7-Edge
They are already on Verizon, and have been for years. I was hoping there might be some sort of great deal for them if they were upgrading. I'm going to check out Verizon's site and see what might be offered.
Thank you again!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Samsung's "Easy Mode" is nice. My MIL isn't very old, but she uses it. Big icons on the homescreen make it more simple.

That's about all of the advice I can offer. I'm not opposed to older folks sticking with a flip phone though. Unless they'd actually use the browser, are on Facebook, etc., I don't see a reason to burden them with learning to use a smartphone. Just my two cents though. I did bug my own dad for quite a while to get a smartphone. Now, he and mom both use them and they went from only turning them on when they wanted to call someone to having them on them at all times. They're in their 60's though and he worked with computers for most of his career.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
They are already on Verizon, and have been for years. I was hoping there might be some sort of great deal for them if they were upgrading. I'm going to check out Verizon's site and see what might be offered.
Thank you again!
Yes, my parents are on Verizon too, flips as well, tried the same thing, but Dad wasn't interested, although he loves tech... Until he learned the iWatch had sensors and software to scan blood sugar, so Apple worked for him...

Sent by my new S7-Edge

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Samsung's "Easy Mode" is nice. My MIL isn't very old, but she uses it. Big icons on the homescreen make it more simple.

That's about all of the advice I can offer. I'm not opposed to older folks sticking with a flip phone though. Unless they'd actually use the browser, are on Facebook, etc., I don't see a reason to burden them with learning to use a smartphone. Just my two cents though. I did bug my own dad for quite a while to get a smartphone. Now, he and mom both use them and they went from only turning them on when they wanted to call someone to having them on them at all times. They're in their 60's though and he worked with computers for most of his career.

They won't answer a call unless they recognize who's calling. The screen is so small, they usually miss the call and then can't read who it was to call back LOL

Mine are considerably older than your parents, but my dad has been in the computer industry since they were bigger than commercial washing machines. He does show interest in our phones, but has never said anything about upgrading. I think he fears the jump would be extraordinarily expensive.

If I presented him with some factual numbers on cost to purchase and plan pricing, he would probably see it's not that expensive. I did happen to see their latest Verizon bill on the kitchen table and it was around $60 for two flip phones. Seemed awfully expensive for what they have.
The unlimited calls and texts would be new to them and make it that much more appealing. I doubt they would ever text (but they've surprised me in the past), but would probably be thrilled with texts and pictures texted to them from my kids and me.

Since I'm a Moto fan and user, I was thinking a Moto might be the easiest to move them into for support from me. I can see where their frustration may rub off on me while trying to figure something out. I can remain calm to a point, but techie stuff tends to freak me out anyway, so trying to help them with a phone I'm not familiar with would really not be good LOL

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yes, my parents are on Verizon too, flips as well, tried the same thing, but Dad wasn't interested, although he loves tech... Until he learned the iWatch had sensors and software to scan blood sugar, so Apple worked for him...

Sent by my new S7-Edge
Hmmmmm, that's worth noting, thanks!

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Moto? No.. Lol ;)
There probably are low end Moto's, just like Sammy and LG etc, seems like most of the cheap ones I recall are the Chinese no names...
Possibly a cheap last year's model too.

Sent by my new S7-Edge

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
According to Verizon's site, they can get Moto Plays free with a two year contract. Is there something better than free ?!?!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't think the Moto G is very expensive. Is that the one? I know there's a low-mid range Moto...
The Moto G4 is the newest version, my daughter has one. Great phone for a good price. Might not be the best for elderly folks though, as far as button size.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The Moto G4 is the newest version, my daughter has one. Great phone for a good price. Might not be the best for elderly folks though, as far as button size.

Welcome to the party, @Sajo! Thanks for that heads up. My dad doesn't do well with small buttons anymore...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Z Play deal is good....if you keep that phone active on that line for 24 months. If not, the phone is not free.