Phone Dying By Itself?

Rishi P

Reaction score
I know a few people have mentioned that they charge their phone before they go to bed unplug from charger after it is fully charged, go to sleep and wake up with the battery being down a bit, probably to 90 or 80% from just looking at it (not sure what app ppl use to check battery meter, so pleass suggest of one that doesn't in turn drain the battery itself)

Today, I barely even used my phone and I feel it is still draining at the same rate as it always does. I am pretty sure it is all the apps running in the background and my main question is if there is a way to delete apps such as the weather/news permantely without rooting the phone? I dragged the weather app into the trash bin, but I know it's stil running in the background

I feel everytime I download an app, I'm at risk of the battery life getting worse as I just downloaded Juice Defeneder last night and don't see any results.

This is all extremly frustrating but I am trying very option out before opting to buy an extended battery, because I strongly feel the phone shouldn't just be dying on it's own like this.

All help is appreciated

OP
R

Rishi P

Reaction score
You can get the task manager app in the app store and kill the background services that you don't want running.

You can get the task manager app in the app store and kill the background services that you don't want running.

dont use task killers

Androidology (& Android OS Memory Management [task killers])

lol, exactly what he said....i know better not to use task killers, even though I am very tempted to try it again because again the guy at VZW said his phone will last for 2 days with a task killer, but i think thats BS

anyway, any other suggestions other than the task killer....i hate watching my phone just sit there and die lol

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're experiencing the Droid X battery drain bug. Aren't we all?

Workaround until the update arrives:
phone settings > location & security > use network location > UNCHECK

If you've already tried that:
-uninstall problem apps/widgets/live wallpapers. Dial *#*#4636#*#* to identify problems.
-could you have a bad battery or charger?

Kentech0023

Reaction score
Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that you want to use the wall charger if you can. USB doesn't provide nearly the amount of juice as the wall charger so your phone might even lose charge when connected via USB if you're running stuff on the phone. The shorter the USB cable, the better too. If you need a longer charge cable, get an extension cord, not a longer USB cable.

OP
R

Rishi P

Reaction score
Sounds like you're experiencing the Droid X battery drain bug. Aren't we all?

Workaround until the update arrives:
phone settings > location & security > use network location > UNCHECK

If you've already tried that:
-uninstall problem apps/widgets/live wallpapers. Dial *#*#4636#*#* to identify problems.
-could you have a bad battery or charger?

Forgot to mention that you want to use the wall charger if you can. USB doesn't provide nearly the amount of juice as the wall charger so your phone might even lose charge when connected via USB if you're running stuff on the phone. The shorter the USB cable, the better too. If you need a longer charge cable, get an extension cord, not a longer USB cable.

Thanks for your responses, you seem to know your stuff about this and its appreciated.

However I wasn't able to find what you said in bold...is it under something else maybe?

Also, how would I know if I do perhaps have a bad battery?

I wake up in the morning around 7:30ish and notice the battery has gone down a bit after a full charge at night and throughout the day at work I notice it slowly start to go down and by the time I get home which is around 7ish it will need a be down to about 20% or so....is this normal? I just hate watching the battery drain and drain

on a side note, are car chargers ok to use...even though I've noticed they aren't as powerful as the wall charger

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can never remember the setting exactly. Is this it?
phone settings > location & security > use wireless network > UNCHECK IT UNTIL THE UPDATE COMES

If that doesn't seem to work for you:
-turn off GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.
Hopefully you don't have a bad battery. One thing you can do is dial *#*#4636#*#* which will bring up your phone's diagnostic screen. One area talks about "battery health".

I use a car charger quite often and it works well for me.

When all is said and done, it's possible that some app/widget/live wallpaper is draining your battery. Some people were having problems where syncing facebook contacts seemed to hang and drain their batteries. Dialing *#*#4636#*#* can help spotlight problem software. The fix could be as simple as clearing the apps cache/data via phone settings > applications > manage applications
...or uninstall the app and complain to the dev

Last edited:
OP
R

Rishi P

Reaction score
I can never remember the setting exactly. Is this it?
phone settings > location & security > use wireless network > UNCHECK IT UNTIL THE UPDATE COMES

Hopefully you don't have a bad battery. One thing you can do is dial *#*#4636#*#* which will bring up your phone's diagnostic screen. One area talks about "battery health".

I use a car charger quite often and it works well for me.

When all is said and done, it's possible that some app/widget/live wallpaper is draining your battery. Some people were having problems where syncing facebook contacts seemed to hang and drain their batteries. Dialing *#*#4636#*#* can help spotlight problem software. The fix could be as simple as clearing the apps cache/data via phone settings > applications > manage applications
...or uninstall the app and complain to the dev

yeah i dialed that number and it says battery health is good so i guess that means i'm ok....still coudn't find that setting under location & security....do you mean under settings for the browser, because I also have that unchecked for using my location along with no home page and no webpages ever left open

Also, how about changing any of the email settings in terms of push and fetch (not sure the difference if someone can explain) Also what about off peak hours...what exactly does that mean and when should I put those to be?

Again, thanks for all the help

Edit - also downloaded juice defender last night, but I don't think it really has helped and maybe this is just killing my battery?

I never know what apps to trust anymore lol...deleted the facebook app as soon as i found out it was running in the background and now just check facebook from browser

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, I don't mean the browser settings.

If that doesn't seem to work for you:
-turn off GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.
You can leave your phone on performance mode. I think the other battery profiles they've introduced on the X are BS. It doesn't effect the battery much either way.

Push v. fetch email doesn't effect the battery much either. Go with push (IMAP) if you can.

Some people like Juice Defender. I try to run lean so I don't use juice defender, task killers, antivirus. I just let the phone do it's thing, but experimentation is always a good idea.

Checking facebook from the browser is the best way to go to save battery power. Dolphin HD is a good browser and you can set user agent to desktop/computer to see non-mobile sites.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rishi P

Reaction score
yeah I'm kinda with you on the whole let the phone run by itself instead of using apps like juice defender

I also read to let the battery fully drain until the phone turns off from no power and charge it up again with the phone OFF for the whole night

I did exactly this when i first got it, but with the phone ON, so now I am doing it with the phone OFF for the next 2-3 days in a row to see if this helps

Also another thing since I've noticed my phone does lose some battery overnight when it's on....would it be ok for me to just keep the charger plugged in all night with the phone on or is this bad for the battery as I remember I was told that for my older phone which was not a smart phone, but not sure if the smart phone battery applies to the same theory

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah I'm kinda with you on the whole let the phone run by itself instead of using apps like juice defender

I also read to let the battery fully drain until the phone turns off from no power and charge it up again with the phone OFF for the whole night

I did exactly this when i first got it, but with the phone ON, so now I am doing it with the phone OFF for the next 2-3 days in a row to see if this helps

Also another thing since I've noticed my phone does lose some battery overnight when it's on....would it be ok for me to just keep the charger plugged in all night with the phone on or is this bad for the battery as I remember I was told that for my older phone which was not a smart phone, but not sure if the smart phone battery applies to the same theory

The phone uses a Lithium Ion battery. They really don't suffer much from battery "memory," so that won't make much difference. What they DO sometimes suffer from is voltage depletion/depression, in which case you should fully discharge your LiOn every 30 complete charge cycles.

OP
R

Rishi P

Reaction score

The phone uses a Lithium Ion battery. They really don't suffer much from battery "memory," so that won't make much difference. What they DO sometimes suffer from is voltage depletion/depression, in which case you should fully discharge your LiOn every 30 complete charge cycles.

So are you saying that it's ok to keep the phone on charger all night then and whenever I am in the car??