Phone doesn't work well in cold?

Jonas

Reaction score
So I was out for my daily run, and I use Cardio Trainer, which if you run, is an excellent app, but anyway, I was using CT to keep check on my distance, time, and speed, and used the Cubed music player to listen to music. I ran about 1.5 miles, and pulled my phone out to check my time, and I found my screen zerking out. It was stuck on a GO SMS pop-up, because someone had texted me, I still don't know who, and it was switching orientation like crazy. The screen just kept spinning no matter how I held it, and it would not go away no matter how many time I hit the power button or the home button, the screen stayed on and continued to spin. I did notice at the start of my run, the phone was VERY laggy. I use Ripple Lock for my lock screen, and I would do the drag motion (it's an ICS themed Lock Screen) and about 30 seconds later the screen would unlock. Or I would try to pull the notification bar down, and it wouldn't come down for about 30 seconds. I'm not sure if this was from the combination of apps I just listed above not playing well with each other, or something else.

Do you guys think this is from it being cold outside? It's about 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I just got home from running, so that was the temp while I was running. And if you think this might be the cause, whats a good way to keep my phone warm, and still have full to mostly full functionality without roasting the insides? My guess would be maybe a hand warmer, or something like that, but when I run, I hold my phone in my hand, because I had a bad time with it popping out of my pocket.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
It's currently -2°C outside (autumn is ending) and I've just returned from a pretty long bike ride. There were absolutely no issues with my phone. Endomondo worked fine. Note: I keep the phone fixed on a bicycle mount, with nothing protecting it except a really thin film (to prevent rain getting into it).

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
It's currently -2°C outside (autumn is ending) and I've just returned from a pretty long bike ride. There were absolutely no issues with my phone. Endomondo worked fine. Note: I keep the phone fixed on a bicycle mount, with nothing protecting it except a really thin film (to prevent rain getting into it).

UGH... I really hope this isn't a problem with CM7. Maybe it's worth noting I have the phone under clocked to 800 Mhz. Are you running any ROMs or anything non-stock in terms of software on your phone?

I had the lag issue once before when I was running, but it could very well be that my fingers are cold, and the heat isn't transferring well into the screen. Just a thought?

Heywood

Reaction score
I also use Cardio Trainer and I also exercise outdoors. Its fairly cold here in Portland, no issues to report. Is it possible condensation caused the strange behavior...cold outside warm against your body?

DX2 stock

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
I also use Cardio Trainer and I also exercise outdoors. Its fairly cold here in Portland, no issues to report. Is it possible condensation caused the strange behavior...cold outside warm against your body?

DX2 stock

Fantastic point, since I have run in the rian the past few days. Not hard rain, but misty rain, I wonder if I should go out and buy a bag of rice and let it sit in there over night maybe?

Heywood

Reaction score
Fantastic point, since I have run in the rian the past few days. Not hard rain, but misty rain, I wonder if I should go out and buy a bag of rice and let it sit in there over night maybe?

Certainly worth a try:)

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I don't run custom ROMs because I'm a GSM user and I need stability. And custom GB ROMs just can't provide that.

Stock 4.5.608 with bloatware frozen.

rusty815

Reaction score
i just walked around a mile where i live, its about 40F right now, and ive never had a problem, now back in Los Angeles in 100F weather, my phone was dying several times a day...

tono80

Reaction score
Electronics should not be affected by cold temperatures. They don't work by combustion or moving crystals. If anything it should perform better. The only thing that could be affected is probably the screen, but probably at extreme temperatures.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its most definitely condensation from your warmth and the cold weather, or the mist in general. It happened to me while skiing. I had the phone in my jackets breast pocket and it was almost wet when I took it out! :mad:

Heywood

Reaction score
Its most definitely condensation from your warmth and the cold weather, or the mist in general. It happened to me while skiing. I had the phone in my jackets breast pocket and it was almost wet when I took it out! :mad:

I bet the RAZR would be a great phone in the powder. Mt Hood still not open:(

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Alright, so from what I'm gathering from you guys, maybe I should keep the phone in a mitten, or somesort of woven container. My fingers usually get numb from being so cold, so I thought maybe it was the phone not picking up the heat from my fingers.

Ill try to get some rice to get the condensation out this weekend. This just confuses me since I don't have any problems when I'm indoors, or just outside, not running.

jerryq2

Reaction score
Took my DROIDX sledding the other day worked great took pictures video and uploaded pictures to facebook. The only thing that wasnt working right was my fingers they were cold it was about 20 deg outside.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

maxwellag

Reaction score
I have problems with my touchscreen in the cold. Things are randomly selected, and I can't do anything.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ElectroGeek

Reaction score
I have experienced touchscreen problems durring spring/summer months when my phone was in my jeans pocket. Humidity/moisture was the only thing I came up with. If anything the cold is good for electronics think heat sincs and cryo coolers...

Droid2 Global CM4D2G-GB-20111217 ***CM7 RevNumbers Kang***