Phone doesn't ring

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by gaiam, May 9, 2010.

1. gaiam

gaiam New Member

Hello All,
    My husband and I just got HTC droids a few weeks ago, prior to coming to Alaska for the summer. When we arrived in Anchorage (extended network for Verizon), we noticed that our phones would only ring for a few seconds, not even long enough to get them out of our pockets to answer. Sometimes calls even went straight to voicemail without ringing.
    Now we are out in the bush (no data service, just basic phone coverage) and they don't ring at all. We've been here 4 days and only 1 call has come through (out of dozens). When I call from another phone it rings 2-3 times and goes to VM and the droid never sees the call. It does alert me when I get a VM. We have a 3rd person on our plan and he has an older flip-phone. His works just fine.
    Verizon has been no help. They can't/won't extend the ring time (they claim they can only do that in our "home area" which is Massachusetts...), and have no further suggestions - basically it's not their problem because we're using another company's network (event though one of their phones works and they claim the droid should be no different). I have tried upping the frequency with which the phone checks for new signals (as per instructions on this forum), but it didn't make a difference.
    Any suggestions very welcome! I'm about to spend several hundred dollars to buy old phones down in Oregon, have them programed to our account by a friend, and shipped overnight to us to see if that helps, but I don't even know if it will solve the problem. Help!
    Thanks,
    Gaia
  2. aminaked

aminaked New Member

I live in regular old civilization and my phone went straight to voicemail a couple times last week. Happens on at&t too. These things can be flaky. Suggestions:

-Make sure your ringer is on.
    -Situate your phone so that it has the best reception.
    -Pray that other VZ customers in your area aren't "hogging all the circuits"
  3. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Have you tried *228 option 2?
  4. drivinfocused

drivinfocused New Member

beat me to it!!!
Search tags for this page
android forums phone doesn't ring

android phone doesn't ring

android phone if your phone doesn't ring in my home
cell phone doesn't ring goes straight to voicemail
droid bionic won't ring goes to voice mail