Phone doesnt check for updates!!

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am having issues with my rezound. Specifically whenever I go to phone updates, software updates and check new, I get a pop up that says checking for new software availiable now however it quickly disappears and nothing happens. I don't know if it matters however this rezound is a clnr sent to me from verizon about a month ago. When I checked for updates on my previous rezound it would give me a message saying there were no new updates available. Anyone experience similar situations, or have any suggestions??

MikeyTG

Reaction score
You should get a message that no updates are available (or one IS available, someday...!). I had an issue like that a few weeks ago, powering off/on fixed it.

OP
MrToneBonez

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
I have tried that several times, and still no luck :-( . Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you do a factory reset when you got the phone? Also, have you checked to see if the phone is unlocked/running a ROM? Verizon does NOT check their phones very well when they receive them and some may still have the software from the previous owner on them.

OP
MrToneBonez

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
I have not done a factory reset as of yet however the phone does not seem to be running any roms or have a superuser icon. Do you recommend I try the factory reset ?

indee2025

Reaction score
Why don't you try going into the settings>applications>running services>tap the htc updater or android updater and stop it/force stop it>hit the sub menu button to show cached processes button....then click on the updater or htc updater or both and kill the process..then try to search for updates again...*it might not be one of the two I listed in the cached processes but killing those won't cause an issue, I did it myself just now to be sure, the idea is to clear the data & cause the device to really search for the data again when you check for updates...

OP
MrToneBonez

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
Okay so I attempts your steps indee However the only running app that you listed was android updater and it was only visible under the show cached option. There is no htc updater on my device I even reset it twice. Idk what to do lol :-( I'm trying anything to avoid a factory reset so any other suggestions would be great

indee2025

Reaction score
Okay so I attempts your steps indee However the only running app that you listed was android updater and it was only visible under the show cached option. There is no htc updater on my device I even reset it twice. Idk what to do lol :-( I'm trying anything to avoid a factory reset so any other suggestions would be great
Did you stop the cached process?

OP
MrToneBonez

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
Yes I did, then immediately did a restart. No luck, I then did a factory reset and still the same thing. :-??

indee2025

Reaction score
Try going into settings...then disable fastboot...then pull the battery, wait for 30 seconds then put the battery back in and power up the device....check to see if it checks for updates properly...the idea is that the device doesn't power down all the way when fastboot is enabled, so disabling it and allowing it to completely power down might be what you need to help clear the error...

OP
MrToneBonez

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
So I also attemtped the disabling fastboot suggestion and pulled the battery for 30 seconds However I'm still having the same error. I called Verizon and one rep told me that I should be seeing a message saying there are currently no new updates. The second rep told me that not seeing anything is normal when u search for updates and that it wouldn't matter regardless because there are no more updates coming dor the rezound .

indee2025

Reaction score
So I also attemtped the disabling fastboot suggestion and pulled the battery for 30 seconds However I'm still having the same error. I called Verizon and one rep told me that I should be seeing a message saying there are currently no new updates. The second rep told me that not seeing anything is normal when u search for updates and that it wouldn't matter regardless because there are no more updates coming dor the rezound .
It should not display nothing at all if other devices say "no new updates found" or "your system is up to date!" on the same device running the same software...it doesn't surprise me a simple rep for verizon making just above minimum wage is useless for tech support beyond the text of the owner's manual...it should display a message either telling you the device is up to date or update found...also there is a substantial amount of sources out there telling people there is an update to make the Rezound a global device (it can already work overseas if you select cdma only instead of cdma/lte only) & there are even more sources indicating the Rezound will receive Android 4.0...so to tell you there will be NO MORE UPDATES EVER!!! for the Rezound is laughable, only because I'm smart enough to know a rep from Verizon would not be privy to that kind of information...Oh & you can download an official test version of Android 4.0 design for the Rezound RIGHT NOW from this site or other popular forums...So I'd ay what the reps told you is officially DeBuNKeD!

MikeyTG

Reaction score
Do you have 3g or 4g reception when you try to check for updates? I notice that my phone turns on 3g (I don't get 4g) momentarily when I check for updates even though I am connected using WiFi. It must have to talk directly to the Verizon mothership for the update check.

OP
MrToneBonez

MrToneBonez

Reaction score
I have LTE where I live but I have tried checking for updates on both cdma and LTE, no luck :-(