Phone Deleted all .jpg and .png from SD Card

tebower

Reaction score
I have seen reports scattered around the internet and across different phones related to what I just experienced.

I discovered tonight upon opening Gallery on Fission 2.4.3 that practically all of my images and videos had somehow been deleted from my SD card. In my camera folder, where 250 images had been, 6 now were. I have no explanation for this, but used recovery software to get most back.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I know about the need to unmount properly, etc., but a data corruption from improperly disconnecting a flash drive should destroy random data. This deletion was only images and videos.

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
Do you use .nomedia files?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
T

tebower

Reaction score
A few, and some are created by applications that store their data on the sd card, like Asphalt 5. Why?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Use a file manager app to look in sdcard/dcim/camera to see if pictures are there. Look also for a .nomedia file.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
T

tebower

Reaction score
No...they are not hidden by a nomedia file. I mounted it and searched on my PC. I had to use a file management tool to undelete them...they had been deleted.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No...they are not hidden by a nomedia file. I mounted it and searched on my PC. I had to use a file management tool to undelete them...they had been deleted.

Just curious, what File Management tool did you use? I want to make sure I have it, or get it if I don't.

Thanks,

OP
T

tebower

Reaction score
I just used a simple, free, tool called Data Recovery. It scanned the card and located all deleted files. About 80% of what I needed to get back was recoverable. Some of the pictures were garbled, etc. and would not work.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just used a simple, free, tool called Data Recovery. It scanned the card and located all deleted files. About 80% of what I needed to get back was recoverable. Some of the pictures were garbled, etc. and would not work.

Cool!! Thanks

hobby31

Reaction score
I've had this happen a couple of times. It's happened when switching between ROMS. I keep about 300-350 pics on my phone in about 50 folders. I've never had MOST of my pics dissapear but about 30-40%. Folders that had 50 pics would have 25-30 left and some folders wouldn't be touched. I think it had something to do with titanium backup and restoring the gallery which I didn't want to do but somehow chose to do. I don't restore the gallery any more and make sure I don't have a backup. That's my theory anyway. That's the only time it's happened to me.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
This has been driving me nuts also. Sometimes when I flash a new rom or theme I lose my pictures or some album art.

I use the stock mp3 player because everyone I ever tried would do funny things with Bluetooth.

So I have a backup of all my mp3’s and gallery pictures.

I’ve tried the .nomedia file in my mp3 folders to stop album art from showing up in my gallery. But then the mp3’s/albums will not show up in my stock mp3 player.

I got another tip a few days ago, (From tebower thanks), I’m naming all the album art to “albumart.jpg” and it seems to be working. I’m about ½ way through fixing all of my mp3 albums

Last edited:

Neverblu

Reaction score
This is a known problem for the Droid X, Droid 2, and Droid 2 Global. I had a topic going on the motorolla forums about it. It happens when you quick disconnect from usb and gallery reloads all image files. It only deletes image files, and it does not matter where they are on the sdcard's file structure. It does not affect any other media.

Fix - Latest Motorolla Drivers, ALWAYS EJECT/SAFELY REMOVE DROID.

I lost more pictures then I could ever account for. Don't just unplug your droid from usb, eject it. As far as getting your files back, before you do ANYTHING as far as editing/storing new data on the card, take the card out or plug it into a card reader, and use a UNDELETER or File Recovery software to recover your deleted pictures(the index of those files were deleted was all, file still exists until overwritten) Good luck

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
Don't just unplug your droid from usb, eject it.

Often, these Droid phones reboot while connected to USB, so one doesn't get the opportunity to do a clean Eject.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Neverblu

Reaction score
Mine nor my wifes droid 2 global reboots when plugged into usb, with or without usb debugging enabled, rooted or non-rooted, connected though adb ect. Both tested on 2.4.29 and 2.4.33, Fission 2.4.3 and Liberty port. I'd return it to verizon after an sbf if your rooted, and tell them that the phone reboots everytime you plug it into usb and it deletes your photos, reboot due to voltage being applied through a pin is a hardware problem not software related. Just my 2cent