Phone crashes after unplugging from USB

seventieslord

Reaction score
I don't think this is D2G related, probably more related to an app, the sd card, or android itself. But I don't know where else i'd put it, so to the D2G section it goes.

I have been having really odd problems for a couple months. My phone will just get really unresponsive and hot. It's like an app is taking up whe whole CPU and grinding everything else to a halt. Eventually (5 minutes later) the phone decides it isn't going to get any better, and spontaneously restarts. It happens this way probably 95% of the time, so rather than let it work its issues out, I now just pull the battery immediately, so I don't sit there for five minutes just to restart anyway.

I finally put it together that this was happening after being unplugged from USB for a long time. I always get the crash in the washroom at work (yes I take my phone with me, don't act like you don't!) And when I go to bed for the night. In both cases the phone was hooked up to a pc and then unplugged.

It is possible that after unplugging, if I give it at least five minutes to do whatever it's doing and don't touch it, it will be ok when I pick it up again.

Also, following one of these restarts, history has shown that I would be best advised to just give it 3-4 minutes to start everything up and load widgets, etc, before I ask anything of it.

I haven't added a bunch of stuff lately; in fact I have taken a more minimalist approach to my homescreen lately.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
minimalist approach to my homescreen lately.
app doesn't need to be on home screen to be running
settings/app/running services see whats using memory stop it, delete it or wipe cache/data
if that doesn't help delete all user apps and reinstall one at a time with some time between installs, to see whats happening
next try wipe all user data and start over, still no luck SBF
as long as you aren't running 4.5.629, if you are don't sbf

OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I should have been more clear.

Yes, I realize that apps don’t have to be on the homescreen to be running, and also they aren’t running just by being on the homescreen. I have the “usual” services running, 3G watchdog pro to watch data usage, watchdog lite to monitor CPU usage (which is waaay more important than RAM usage), lookout (in case I lose my phone only, I do not have the antivirus or real time scanning going on), juice defender to save battery, swipe, and and a few things that need to be “awake” to provide notifications. What I should have been more clear on, is that this just started happening suddenly, with no changes instigated by me. These apps all worked just fine and my phone never bogged down before. When it starts getting bogged down, the culprit is probably whatever is using the most CPU, not the most RAM, but of course by the time I need to get into watchdog lite to see which app, it’s too late.

I have a D3 on the way… I’m going to just reinstall everything on there, and hope this goes away. If it doesn’t… you’re absolutely right, I’ll need to install one by one. :(

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
all those apps you listed, could be, not playing nice with each other
I would start with
juice defender

OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
I realize that's always a possibility; however, they have always played nice before. This just spontaneously started a couple months ago.

Also, that doesn't really explain why this only happens after unplugging from usb. What does your phone start doing after you unplug it? It prepares the SD card, and then what?