Phone Contacts vs email contacts

dcook12

Reaction score
This probably is a stupid question, but this google has me googled. Since we can no longer use backup assistant for PHONE
number backups I keep getting told that this information is backed up with my google account. I cannot find my phone contacts anywhere in google. yes I have my email contacts imported into gmail, so they are there. I know I must be missing something easy. Does google have a backup of my PHONE number contacts somewhere I am not looking?? Sorry, but between gmail, google voice etc, it is a bit confusing. And just to add I wnt to my old backup assistant on the verizon sight and it says all contacts were updated on 9/10. I got my droid in July. And they are not all updated either...Thanks for any help to ease my confusion!!!

Last edited:

harrellj

Reaction score
If you go to google.com/contacts and login with your phone account, are your contacts there?

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score
If you go to google.com/contacts and login with your phone account, are your contacts there?

This is what is confusing me...My mail contacts that I imported are there, but not my phone contacts. My phone contacts have the number and some have addresses or a separate contact for email. Just looking for a list of people and their phone numbers in my phone contact list on my phone...or a suggestion in how to back them up.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, just so we're on the same page. Your contacts are backed up in Gmail. That's where you should be working with them.

Now on your settings on the phone you can set it up so only those people with phone numbers appear on your contact list, or you can have all contacts appear. If you have duplicate contacts you can fix that on line in your gmail contacts.

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score
OK, just so we're on the same page. Your contacts are backed up in Gmail. That's where you should be working with them.

Now on your settings on the phone you can set it up so only those people with phone numbers appear on your contact list, or you can have all contacts appear. If you have duplicate contacts you can fix that on line in your gmail contacts.

Thanks HB.. It appears that I do have my email contact and like 8 contacts with phone numbers. I see that I can add the numbers one by one, but thought it would sync all of them. Obviously with gmail you would want to have your mail contact list. That only makes sense. I guess I'm wondering why only 8 are there out of about 75 that I have....I think I'll end up adding them manually. At least they will still be a backup if something were to happen to my phone...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks HB.. It appears that I do have my email contact and like 8 contacts with phone numbers. I see that I can add the numbers one by one, but thought it would sync all of them. Obviously with gmail you would want to have your mail contact list. That only makes sense. I guess I'm wondering why only 8 are there out of about 75 that I have....I think I'll end up adding them manually. At least they will still be a backup if something were to happen to my phone...

Take the one's that are not listed in your favorites in Gmail and place them on your favorites. I think all you'll have to do is highlight them and right click. Then when your phone syncs with gmail all those numbers should appear.

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score

Take the one's that are not listed in your favorites in Gmail and place them on your favorites. I think all you'll have to do is highlight them and right click. Then when your phone syncs with gmail all those numbers should appear.

OK..I had to add a folder called favorites and copied all of my contacts to that folder. I'll see what happens...Thanks again for you help!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK…Let me try this again.

You are in Gmail You click on Contacts. All your contacts should appear.

At the top you will see a button that says "add to my contacts" Highlight those people you want in your "My Contacts" list and then push that button.

Sorry about the comment about favorites, making a folder called favorites isn't going to help. I won't hurt either, just going to have to add it to "My contacts."

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score

At the top you will see a button that says "add to my contacts" Highlight those people you want in your "My Contacts" list and then push that button.

Sorry about the comment about favorites, making a folder called favorites isn't going to help. I won't hurt either, just going to have to add it to "My contacts."

Thanks for clarifying..I didn't see favorites, that's why I made a new folder...Just did what you said and will see...

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying..I didn't see favorites, that's why I made a new folder...Just did what you said and will see...

OK..That did not work, but I found something that did...I have my phone contacts imported to the sdcard so connecting the phone to my PC, I found the file with a .vcf extension and copied it to my PC. Then went to my contacts, clicked on more actions and imported the .vcf file. It gave me a message saying 111 contacts were added and now they all match my phone. So kind of a work around I guess, but only took a minute to do...so now I'm happy....thanks for all of your help and patience!!!