"Phone" Contacts v. "Contacts" Contacts

GraveTrain

Reaction score
Hey all...

I recently attempted to cleanup my contacts. I backed-up my entire contacts list from my phone onto a csv file and went to work to clean them up and add some new ones.

I then went into into my Google Account and wiped the entire contacts database clean, then imported the entire contacts database into my Google Contacts.

I forced synced my phone and this is what I get.

• The "majority" of my contacts make it on there. They are properly linked with their FB accounts.
  • There are some contacts that show up on the CONTACTS app but not the PHONE CONTACTS app.
  • In the CONTACTS app, there are contacts that are duplicate. One has the name and all the numbers but "linked" to a duplicate contact with no number and JUST a organization.
What am I missing here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stan

chicagojcb

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am also interested in the answer to GraveTrain's question. I am moving from a very antiquated world, where I had phone contacts in my Treo (synced to Palm Desktop but not connected to the internet in any way), plus several email accounts (personal & business gmail and one volunteer-org yahoo account) that all have some overlapping contacts with each other and with the phonebook (which got transferred in the Verizon Store from the Treo last week when I bought my Droid 2). I am willing to clean up the way GraveTrain did by manually combining email and phone items into the same lists in my gmail accounts and then deleting the phone-book-only entries, if necessary. Is that the best way to do it? Is there anything out there that will help me manage the contacts list by merging entries or something?

Thoughts, anyone?
Thanks --

Reaction score
i would like to know the answer to this too. when i go to send an SMS when i put the contacts name in they come up twice ( same spelling as well so its not like one name is mistyped ) any one have an idea?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you did this, but make sure you wipe your phone contacts clean before you re-sync. Also, a CSV file can be easily manipulated by Excel, so make sure it is good before pulling it into Google.

Not sure if this will help.

ralyon

Reaction score
Hi folks,

... Is that the best way to do it? Is there anything out there that will help me manage the contacts list by merging entries or something?

Thoughts, anyone?
Thanks --

I used Google to merge mine. Check each one you want to merge and then "Merge Contacts" will be available under "More Actions". It will combine all the fields and you can then delete duplicate fields if you have any.

ralyon