Phone choices for Feb-March 2012 on Verizon, what would you choose and why?

nadav64

Reaction score
The rezound is not a global phone! It doesn't work in Israel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, it is unlockABLE. That is an important distinction.

You have to unlock it on HTC's website. Doing so potentially voids part of your warranty (I can go into more detail, but the short of it is, there are potential consequences). I assume this applies to the Galaxy nexus as well (it also has to be unlocked, though you probably dont need to go through Samsung to do it).

After it is unlocked, you can use the 1 click root method to root it.

That was a pleasant surprise. It isnt something I would ever use personally, but its not a bad thing.
(Also, there is FM radio hardware as well in the Rezound).

I poo pooed the Thunderbolt when it first came out. I can confirm that the Rezound has NONE of the issues the Thunderbolt had. Even the battery life with the stock battery is not that bad.

I ment to say unlockabke. My keyboard sometimes jumps to its own predictions.

Although since I can unlock my Nexus with out going through Samsung my warranty is not void.

Also I did spend quite a few hours with the Rezound when it came out. It seemed to still have battery issues though. But to each his owne. If the battery life has improved that's great but I
I was stating my opinion and specifically left out the above info as I did not own the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I ment to say unlockabke. My keyboard sometimes jumps to its own predictions.

Although since I can unlock my Nexus with out going through Samsung my warranty is not void.

Also I did spend quite a few hours with the Rezound when it came out. It seemed to still have battery issues though. But to each his owne. If the battery life has improved that's great but I
I was stating my opinion and specifically left out the above info as I did not own the phone.
Battery life on mine has been better than it was on my Droid 1. Maybe I am behind the times and battery expectations have shifted.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My upgrade is due in February, and I originally wanted the Thunderbolt. It's near EOL, but I didn't care. That was, until the Rezound price was reduced by $100, and possibly more by the end of February. Personally, I like the Sense UI. The default Google UI is getting quite boring, IMO. The Nexus has ICS, but as I mentioned, I like Sense, and I'm in favor of ICS with Sense.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
My upgrade is due in February, and I originally wanted the Thunderbolt. It's near EOL, but I didn't care. That was, until the Rezound price was reduced by $100, and possibly more by the end of February. Personally, I like the Sense UI. The default Google UI is getting quite boring, IMO. The Nexus has ICS, but as I mentioned, I like Sense, and I'm in favor of ICS with Sense.
The Thunderbolt is a good phone IMO, but the Rezound is far superior in every way. It is worth the $150 or whatever to upgrade.

You can eBay the iBeats earbuds for $70 if you dont want them.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Thunderbolt is a good phone IMO, but the Rezound is far superior in every way. It is worth the $150 or whatever to upgrade.

You can eBay the iBeats earbuds for $70 if you dont want them.

That's probably the road I'll take. I only use my current device for talking, texting, and surfing. I honestly don't remember the last time I plugged earphones into it.

Drew_P

Reaction score
The rezound is a great phone. I purchased one and loved it while I had it. But honestly, and don't flame me please, I missed my tbolt. I missed the weight, the width and especially the kickstand. Also I love the keyboard with the arrow keys right on the bottom. I know these may seem silly reasons, but its wary made me take the rezound back. And even though I left the dual core phone and dropped back to single, I honestly didn't see THAT much of a difference in performance. The only thing I liked about the rezound was the bigger battery.......which is why I kept it and returned my rezound with the tbolt battery. But the rezound is still a great phone, no doubt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
How did the Thunderbolt have a different keyboard? They both use Sense (HTC Keyboard). If it was a 3rd party keyboard, you could just install that on the Rezound too...I am using the iTap keyboard.

I can understand the appeal of arrow keys. But all the new phones have a "magnifying glass" that hovers above your finger and allows for precision movement...so I dont really use arrow keys anymore. That way is just easier.

OP
T

Techsniffer

Reaction score
I've spent a little bit of time with a few of the phones but I'm still torn.

Razr Maxx - Pro - Badass battery life makes this a good pro for me
Pro - Slim profile
Con - Battery is not replaceable
Con - Screen doesnt look as good as Rezound/Nexus
Con - No ICS
Con - Locked bootloader

Rezound - Pro - Nice display
Pro - One of the faster processors
Pro and Con - Unlockable but has to be done through HTC and voids part of the warranty
Con - No ICS
Con - Cheaper build feel, not solid like my OG Droid

Nexus - Pro - ICS
Pro - Nice display
Pro - Unlockable with no warranty void
Con - Had friends tell me battery life is kind of crappy

Since I listed no ICS as a con, I will say that yes, I am aware that the rest of these phones should get ICS, but lets be honest, we might wait 2 weeks or 8 months fior that upgrade and I'm not sure if I want to get ICS 2 months before I upgrade again. If I could get something from HTC, Motorola giving a timeframe within a month or so I would feel better about choosing them.

Papasmurf

Reaction score
I was town between the Rezound and the Nexus as well. But the Nexus was the clear winner. Screen is so much better. Amoled is amazing. Customization is just as easy and fun as it is with my OG droid. NFC awesome gadget. No SD isn't a con since I used about 9 GB of 16 on my Droid. I stream a lot. And the phone is just crazy sexy IMO.

bdub33

Reaction score
When will the nexus drop in price?

Sent from my Speak'n'Spell

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I tend to be a huge AMOLED fan, but the recent reports of ghosting and burn-in would make me kinda nervous. I'm told it is not something you notice till you have had the phone a while though. I like the deep blacks of AMOLED but the ghosting (or burn-in, which is worse) would bother me personally.

I didnt find the Rezound to feel cheap at all. Quite the opposite. I liked the heft of it, and I love the rubberized back...I never have to wipe fingerprints off of it and it doesnt slip in my hand. The back is very solid and feels secure, though it is easy to get off to get at the battery or SD.

Papasmurf

Reaction score
When will the nexus drop in price?

Sent from my Speak'n'Spell

I hope soon. I have a sense that in the next couple of weeks it will be slightly cheaper. With new phone announcements happening at MWC at the end of the month you might see a lot of sales to get the current inventory out the door. Rezound dropped in price after 2 months, maybe same will happen to the Nexus. Pure speculation of course.

OP
T

Techsniffer

Reaction score
No SD really isnt anything for me, I have a 16g right now that I dont come close to filling up.

Right now I feel that my main choices are the Nexus and Rezound and to be honest if I had to pick right this second I would say the Nexus mainly for the unlockable nature without voiding my warranty by doing it and ICS. This isnt to say that the Rezound isnt a great phone... but the unlockable portion having to go through HTC's site is a fairly big turn off for me and I really want to have full control over my device like I do with my Moto Xoom.

NO matter which device I get, I will more than likely buy the extended battery with it as I know 4g LTE battery life sucks, the only reason is sucks less on the MAXX is because they dumped a massive battery in it, still doesnt mean they fixed the issue of 4g sucking battery power like crazy, it just means they found a way around it for now.

I think my girl is looking at the Rezound and if so I will probably jack the headphones since I use them at work all the time.