1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Phone charging problems after custom kernel

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by apastuszak, Sep 14, 2010.

1. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

I applied the Chevy1 1.0 Ghz Ultra Low Voltage Kernel onto my Droid after rooting it. The phone has been quite stable and the CPU has not gotten above 112 degrees, so I feel safe keeping the kernel.

The issue I am having is with charging the phone. I pulled it out of the multimedia dock this morning, hopped in the car, and 30 minutes later, I got a warning that the phone is below 15%. I have had it plugged in via USB now for an hour, and my charge is at 20%. battery temp is at 98 degrees.

I am using the Droid 2 extended life battery in the phone, which never gave me any charging issues before I swapped the kernel.

To be honest, I did not check the charge this morning, because it has always fully charged overnight in the multimedia dock.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior with charging and a custom kernel. Is there a SetCPU profile I should create to fix this problem? Should my phone have drained that fast with a custom kernel?
  2. InfernoX51

InfernoX51 New Member

Have you tried any other kernels, or even the SV or LV kernel from Chevy? Sometimes the ULV kernels do some strange stuff, not all phones will agree with them.

As for SetCPU, I recommend having a charging profile set up that is on "powersave" so you don't have the cpu cranking too hard when its plugged in.
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I would say a few different things probably happened, I have a seidio 2800 extended battery and used to use the Multimedia dock to charge my phone at night, I remember once thinking it was in the dock when in fact it wasn't, the charging port didn't make a good connection with the male charging stub that sticks up

My guess would be that this is what happened, there is no way that a kernel had such an impact on your phone that it drained it that fast, and it is possible that a kernel can effect different parts of your phone in different ways, I doubt it kept your device from taking in a charge overnight

I would try again this afternoon and make sure the phone has a god connection where the charging port is located
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

And for the record, you are not going to get a sufficient charge or charge times from a USB connection, so this is not a reliable way to test your theory
  5. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

The charge is up to 30%

At least I see the charge advancing now. We'll let it charge and see what happens.
  6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Do a battery pull then charge it. I was experiencing a very similar problem. This morning I did the third battery pull (of course I was trying different stuff in between each pull). I took it off the charger, did the battery pull around 5:20 am. Put it back on the charger till 7 am. It is now 8 am and it still has 100%. I'm not convinced it is fixed but it is definately behaving better.

Nate
  7. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

9:00 AM to 3:13 PM and my battery is only at 80%, Just tried a battery pull. We'll see what happens.
  8. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Well...as stated above I took mine off the charger at 6:40 am and it is now 1:35 pm and I am at 80%. Light use...check email every 20 minutes or so...scheduled a couple meetings...posted on DF a few times. I think mine is solved. Hope yours works out too.

Nate
  9. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

The only similar experience I had was when I attempted to use a "Performance" profile in SetCPU. I thought I could use this while the phone was plugged in and charging... but the battery drained faster than it could even charge.
  10. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

The battery pull seems to have helped. I'll let you know how it looks in the morning.
  11. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

Day 2 and everything seems fine.
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

A side note on cpu frequency scaling governors:

There's no reason to ever use the powersave or performance profiles on a mobile device like this. The powersave governor will force the droid to run at the lowest speed it has available to it and will not let it scale up. The performance governor will run at the highest speed it can and will not scale down.

Powersave will likely force you to run at 125 or 250Mhz max, which is too slow to be responsive, and it will likely freeze the phone when the load gets too high for it to keep up. It needs to be able to "ramp up" for a short period to at least run at the default 550Mhz. You could maybe get away with as low as 500 or 400Mhz, but the returns are diminishing. The performance governor forces the droid to never scale down - it will run at 1.3Ghz or whatever regardless of whether it is sitting doing nothing or actually processing. Running like that will A) kill the battery and B). drive up temperatures really high. There's just no reason to force it to run that high, especially when the ondemand and interactive governors can be configured to whatever minimum and maximum speeds you want.

LUCKILY - when you plug the phone in, the droid hardware forces it to run no slower than 500Mhz, no matter what you pick for a cpu frequency scaling governor or settings. So even if you pick powersave, it will still run at 500Mhz when it is charging.

My suggestions:
    1). Pick a reasonable overclock speed.
    2). Use either the ondemand or interactive governor to make sure that it will be able to scale DOWN when it is idle. Pick a good minimum speed of at most 500Mhz. 250-400 range is best, I've found.
    3). If you are worried about temperature or charging time, use setcpu profiles to pick a reasonable maximum speed when you are plugged in (600Mhz, maybe as high as 800Mhz).
    4). You can also use profiles to set a temperature-based profile to limit the maximum speed. Keep in mind that even if you have a reasonable minimum speed, if some app on the phone goes haywire and decides to peg the CPU, it will hold it to the maximum speed.
    5). If you can, charge off a wall socket instead of a USB port - it will charge much faster that way.
    6). Unless you need the screen to be on (as a clock or whatever), turn the screen off when charging. The display uses more power than just about anything else on the phone, so leaving it on will make it charge slower.
  13. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

According to what I see on the power profile on the phone, the number 1 drain on the phone is actually taking or making a call.
Search tags for this page

charging problem after kernel update

seidio 2800