Phone Charger Voltage Question

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
If I understand correctly, the "cell phone enforcement" team, put a limit of 5 volts per usb port.

With some companies getting away with 5.1 volts.

My questions are:

A: Is that just a written code or do the usb ports have a govenor on them so to speak.

B: If a charger claims to have over 5 volts, is that a lie or is it really more voltage?

069f05314a5a50f22776c1da79dafea2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
To be within USB standards they have to be a max of 5V. The amps are what you're more concerned with.
How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech

A). The device has failed safes to prevent over charging.

B)Phones will only allow the max voltage.
Ok so why does this particular charger say 12 volts. I do have a good somewhat grasp on voltage amps.

They say Compared to a plumbing perspective,

The volts is the main line, the amps is how fast the water flows through and one other thing controls what size tubing.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Ok so why does this particular charger say 12 volts. I do have a good somewhat grasp on voltage amps.

The volts is the main line, the amps is how fast the water flows through and one other thing controls what size tubing.

It's a 12v Direct current charger aka car system.

It's input is 12v not the output.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The volts using your analogy, would be the amount of water pressure before reaching the pipes that then change things to what is needed. The water at your sink is, just for giggles say, 5psi. The water at the street is 40psi, again just throwing out a number that isn't accurate but just for illustration.
The 12 volts is what makes the charger begin to work, like the 120 (110) one in your house, that then is regulated internally to the proper outgoing voltage, amperage and wattage that charges your device.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
The volts using your analogy, would be the amount of water pressure before reaching the pipes that then change things to what is needed. The water at your sink is, just for giggles say, 5psi. The water at the street is 40psi, again just throwing out a number that isn't accurate but just for illustration.
The 12 volts is what makes the charger begin to work, like the 120 (110) one in your house, that then is regulated internally to the proper outgoing voltage, amperage and wattage that charges your device.
Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
The Qualcomm turn car charger says 2amps 5voltswhile the moto turbo says 3amps not sure the voltage ill have to check

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The Qualcomm turn car charger says 2amps 5voltswhile the moto turbo says 3amps not sure the voltage ill have to check

5volts. That is the standard.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Thank yall!

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Verizon wireless started offer a 2.8 car charger that's as good as the moto picked it up today and it worked. Also they had the moto 30 for newer photos like the zforce etc with new charging type

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Verizon wireless started offer a 2.8 car charger that's as good as the moto picked it up today and it worked. Also they had the moto 30 for newer photos like the zforce etc with new charging type

What?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
At verizon wireless stores they have the moto branded car charger called the moto 30 for the new type of USB connection. It has output of 2.8 and is a turbo charger. They also got rid of there older usb not as good car charges and have verizon branded car chargers that are now 2.8 amp turbo chargers for old usb type. They charged my turbo 2 from 0 to 43 percent in about 15 min