Phone calls using a lot of battery.

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Just finished a 45 minute phone call and noticed a significant drop in battery. I checked and 45% of my battery had been used on phone calls for a total of 45 minutes. 16% of battery had been used on display for a total of one and a half hours. My battery dropped around 15% total after only 45 minutes of talking. How does this equate to 21 hours talk time?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What was your signal strength during the call?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
My phone signal is always great at home where this call took place.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I take it the display was off during the call. Was it on speakerphone?

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
No, it wasn't on speaker phone. I can't make sense of it. I don't talk on the phone much but it has always seemed to use a lot of battery. So, this time I checked before and after the phone call.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just finished a 45 minute phone call and noticed a significant drop in battery. I checked and 45% of my battery had been used on phone calls for a total of 45 minutes. 16% of battery had been used on display for a total of one and a half hours. My battery dropped around 15% total after only 45 minutes of talking. How does this equate to 21 hours talk time?

You have to first understand that the 45% used by the phone call was only 45% of the total 15% used, so in other words, about 6.75% of the total battery's capacity. If you run those numbers out, then a fully charged battery could provide about 14.81 phone calls each 45 minutes long, or about 11.11 hours of total talk time. Also, this is assuming that the meter is properly calibrated to the battery's total capacity. That may be slightly high but nothing to be too concerned about.

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Thanks. I do understand that. It just doesn't seem like to me that half as much time talking should use almost three times as much battery as display use.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I do understand that. It just doesn't seem like to me that half as much time talking should use almost three times as much battery as display use.

What was left on the battery?
Once the battery is drained lower go back and check the phone %, that % should be lower..

----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
The phone was around 45% at the time. I charged it around 15%. Before I charged, I checked and the 45 minutes phone call had used the most battery. I think it was 22%.

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
I still haven't found an answer to this and it seems to be getting worse. I actually tested this recently. I charged my battery completely, called my gf, and we left our phones on. It took barely over two hours to get a low battery notification. The screen was off during the call and the signal was strong as always. I guess I'll be calling Verizon now.

Edit: The battery life is great except when I make phone calls.

Last edited:

drivinfocused

Reaction score
Recently meaning last few days phone calls have been major usage of battery. But not killing phone quickly. As I am calling customers and companies several times a day. Voice calls for me are still 54% but GPS wifi and others are turned off and screen is at 0%. (Or lowest of will go). Almost 12 hours at 70% with calls texts and light web browsing.