Phone bars dropping to zero???

Discussion in 'Samsung Fascinate' started by busterbrit, Sep 14, 2010.

1. busterbrit

busterbrit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a blackberry tour but just switched to the fascinate. The blackberry in my office always had 3-4 bars (5 total) and the fascinate fluctuates all over the place. Usually its 2 (4 total) but a lot of the times it shows none.

Does this mean my blackberry has a better signal? Is there a program I can put on both to test this?

*note that my blackberry will not make calls now since it is off contract but it does have a signal (note sure if this will effect the test now).

2. Discover

Discover Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive Noticed this alot with my Fascinate actually.. most the time when i check on the phone its in 1x with 1 or 2 bars. but if i do anything like browse the web its in full 3G... im starting to think that SAMSUNG may have made a power profile that disables 3G until its needed...?

if i recall correctly i had a few ROMS on my DROID1 that allowed 3G to be turned off to save battery... this may have something to do with it.

3. busterbrit

busterbrit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That would be great if that is what it is doing. Is there anyway to know for sure? How about an app that tells you the actual signal strength...

I have a printing business and its really important for clients to get a hold of me so if I'm gonna get less coverage than my blackberry that could be a problem. Do you think this would get less than the blackberry tour?

4. Discover

Discover Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can check the strength of your signal if you go to settings/about phone/status scroll down and you see signal strength. At full bars in 3G I'm at -86 dbm

this is a new phone that's on multiple carriers so maybe a few things need to be ironed out in the baseband, supposedly we are supposed to be getting a 2.2 update soon which usually comes with an updated baseband.

The only thing I can think of is the tour being an international phone its possible that it might have a stronger antenna.

Search tags for this page

samsung fascinate dropped calls

verizon zero bars
zero bars verizon