Phone Auto Downloading Random Apps

Ralleigh

Reaction score
I rooted my phone recently and the first time I did it, I think I downloaded a virus too because it eventually bricked my phone. But what started happening was my phone started automatically downloading random apps from the app store without my permission. I thought it would have been because of the virus, but when my phone bricked I wiped it completely and started off with a new stock OS.

I went though ROM Manager and Cyanamod directly to make sure I wasnt downloading a virus again(More research is good before doing something). My phone started self downloading apps again today though! I have tried searching everywhere to see if others have had this problem but cant find any info.

How do I stop my phone from doing this?! Its driving me crazy! :mad::mad::mad:

Any help would be great!

Oh and first time, I did have AVG virus program on my phone but it never recognized any problem.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Is it downloading new apps or just auto updating the apps you have? Check the play store and see if you have auto update enabled.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
R

Ralleigh

Reaction score
Its downloading new apps I have never seen before.

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
Its downloading new apps I have never seen before.

Sounds like you have to isolate the app that you installed recently that is causing this. Do hou have TB? If so start picking apps that you instalked around the time you first noticed this then freeze that app. If it stops the hncommanded installs then uninstall the frozen app.

OP
R

Ralleigh

Reaction score
Not sure what TB is, but I completely wiped my phone. the only things I have on it now are CWM from ROM manager and Cyanamod 10.0.0. I thought wiping it would have stopped it but it started downloading various apps again that I never have seen or requested.

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
Not sure what TB is, but I completely wiped my phone. the only things I have on it now are CWM from ROM manager and Cyanamod 10.0.0. I thought wiping it would have stopped it but it started downloading various apps again that I never have seen or requested.

Titanium Backup, very useful program.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
CM10 may have apps you have never seen before. Name some. I'm really thinking they are just auto updating since you performed a factory reset.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
R

Ralleigh

Reaction score
Let's see, its downloaded- Treasure Quest (RPG), The Hobbit: Kingdoms, Max Web Search, and a few others I cant think of and already deleted them off my phone and out of my subscriptions.

rileym94

Reaction score
I rooted my phone recently and the first time I did it, I think I downloaded a virus too because it eventually bricked my phone. But what started happening was my phone started automatically downloading random apps from the app store without my permission. I thought it would have been because of the virus, but when my phone bricked I wiped it completely and started off with a new stock OS.

I went though ROM Manager and Cyanamod directly to make sure I wasnt downloading a virus again(More research is good before doing something). My phone started self downloading apps again today though! I have tried searching everywhere to see if others have had this problem but cant find any info.

How do I stop my phone from doing this?! Its driving me crazy! :mad::mad::mad:

Any help would be great!

Oh and first time, I did have AVG virus program on my phone but it never recognized any problem.

Can you check your google play account and make sure all your connections are you? It's possible someone is pushing apps to your phone from the play store on a computer.

OP
R

Ralleigh

Reaction score
Can you check your google play account and make sure all your connections are you? It's possible someone is pushing apps to your phone from the play store on a computer.

I'm the only one on my account. My phone was the only one shown. I even have went and changed my password now. Lets see if that helps.

size15boot

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem. I've change my account password. Added the 2-step verification. Did a factory reset on my phone. I even wiped out my SD card just to be sure.
And random apps are still being downloaded nightly from Google Play Store.
I am at a complete lost as to what is going on.

Olhonda

Reaction score
My wife just ended up with this problem on her RAZR m. Someone at her work downloaded some sort of virus on her work PC and I think something is requesting this stuff to be installed via the PC play store. Any idea what I'm looking for?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's see, its downloaded- Treasure Quest (RPG), The Hobbit: Kingdoms, Max Web Search, and a few others I cant think of and already deleted them off my phone and out of my subscriptions.

After the wipe did you add ANY apps back? Google supposedly cracked down on apps doing this but might have missed one. All I know is some ringtone apps, music file apps and free games were being targeted but I don't know which ones.
Check the developer on one that auto downloads and see if you have any by the same developer or contact address?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Olhonda

Reaction score
That's the strange thing about this. My wife doesn't download anything on her phone that's even the slightest bit odd. There is a virus on the PC that somehow caught her logon to Google drive or gmail that is loading these things onto the phone through play store on the PC.

Olhonda

Reaction score
AppCaster aka Mobile App Sync.

Remove from PC then change Google Play password.