PHEW! That Was A Close One! Legacy Unlimited Plans Unaffected By Verizon Price Hike!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Oct 8, 2015.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,188
    [​IMG]

My blood was absolutely boiling this morning when Verizon dropped the proverbial hammer on grandfathered unlimited data customers. I know this action struck a cord with you. @dgstorm's post has already eclipsed 70 comments most of which is ranting and raving about the situation. I feel you I was right there with you. In fact I took to twitter with my rage.

If your unlimited data comes by way of a super old legacy plan like Alltel's Smartchoice plan you won't have to pay any extra for your unlimited data. It turns out you have been paying the higher $40 fee all along, it is built right into your plan! Other entities that won't be affected include ECPD, CLEU, and Government customers. Anyone currently on contract won't have to pay the extra $20 fee until after your contract expires.

This only affects users not on contract, who have the "Verizon Unlimited Data". I can remember a few years back when LTE came out Verizon tried to tell me that I would need to switch to Verizon Unlimited Data to access LTE. I firmly stood my ground and told them they would give me access and not touch my plan. They did and I am still on the Legacy Alltel plan. If they were able to convince you to switch back then I am sorry. This will be an great opportunity for other carriers to build some sort of plan to fit the needs of heavy data users who will inevitably be leaving Verizon.

Thanks @smalltowngirl13 for the heads up!

• Like Like x 2
  2. tech_head

tech_head Silver Member

Ratings:
    +278
    I actually don't have "Verizon Unlimited Data"
    I have "Email & Web Unlimited" So what does that actually mean???
    From my bill:
    Email & Web Unlimited
    10/05 - 11/04
    $29.99

My plan dates back to Windows Mobile and Blackberry plans.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +910
    I'm on the same plan I've been on since like 2009, also "Email and Web Unlimited" for 29.99

I never switched plans when LTE came out - in fact I think I renewed my contract to get a subsidized upgrade.

If all they're hitting if "Verizon Unlimited Data" that seems like that would be a pretty small % of us "1%ers".

• Like Like x 1
  4. loki993

loki993 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    How many people are actually still on an Alltel legacy plan?

5. DroidModderX

Ratings:
    +2,188
    It looks lIke plans that were paying $40 for data won't be charged the increased price. My plan has always been $40 for data per line

6. cynkrzy

cynkrzy Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +635
    Current Phone Model:
    SCHI605
    Happy for y'all, kinda get the feeling you're a small minority though.

Since I work for a local Gov't and receive a discount because of that I'm thinking there's a small chance I might get by, but then again it's not a gov't account, so probably not.

I keep reading bout Project Fi, but it just seems where I live VZW got the coverage where no one else does.... would love to kick VZW to the curb.

7. loki993

loki993 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Ive been looking at that to...problem is I dont like the phones. 5.7 inches is just too darn big for just a phone IMO so the 6p is out. The 5x has a battery thats a little smaller than id like and its only got 2 gigs of ram whereas now at least 3 is the standard.

Plus neither phone has wireless charging...for the life of me I cant imagine why anyone would offer a flagship phone without it. Thats not just on Google either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +951
    There aren't that many that I come across at work. There was one today, but I don't recall seeing another in months, especially with UDP

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

9. TxDoc

TxDoc Active Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1635-01
    I've got the Legacy plan, also. I've always had to pay full retail price for each phone to keep my unlimited data. I have not seen much mention of that requirement by other customers. What affect will this new change have on that full phone price result in?

10. DroidModderX

Ratings:
    +2,188
    As far as i know nothing will change for the Legacy customers when it comes to full price phones.

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +910
    Anyway, I use way more data than I really need, because I can.

When the price gets significantly above the alternative plans, I might drop it in favor of unlimited text and minutes and manage with 2GB data. As it is, the $20 price hike puts my plan on par with 12GB shared data. I don't really have other devices to add, but I could easily get by with less data if I had to (and 12GB would actually enable a fair amount of tethering).

I'm around wifi 90% of the time and pretty much everywhere I might need to use a lot of data. At some point, it's just not worth the money and I could manage with 1-2GB I need when I'm actually mobile (and a good chunk of that navigation). This new price is going to be $35 more than a 3GB plan....not a big deal, but when you aren't disciplined stuff like that adds up and you're practically flushing like $2000 a year for things you could easily manage without - money that could by a really nice thing or two.

12. TxDoc

TxDoc Active Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Current Phone Model:
    XT1635-01
Search tags for this page
alltel smart choice cell phone plans
legacy alltel smart choice plan
old alltel plan on verizon
pheew

phew