Phantom Notifications...

billyk

Reaction score
Early on with the Bionic, I had a daily phantom notification - when I checked the market app, there would be nothing there. I seem to recall needing to manually update an app that came with the Bionic to fix it.

I've been getting phantom alerts again lately. Anyone else? Anyone know the fix??

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Had a few minutes to research this and the potential fix is in some previous threads.

It was mentioned that Voice Search and YouTube apps seem to push notifications, but they don't get listed as needing an update when you look in the Market.

For me, last time it was Voice Search. This time it was YouTube. Hopefully, this nails it.

Hope this helps someone else.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Early on with the Bionic, I had a daily phantom notification - when I checked the market app, there would be nothing there. I seem to recall needing to manually update an app that came with the Bionic to fix it.

I've been getting phantom alerts again lately. Anyone else? Anyone know the fix??

From what I learned, MP3 Downloader is the major offender for push notifications. Download the app Airpush Defender from the market, install, then run. Flickie HD Wallpaper also showed up although someone on the forum debated that... I uninstalled the apps, no more notifications.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Erikbal

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question to some but I've been wondering what push notifications are?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

bluezdawg

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question to some but I've been wondering what push notifications are?

Never a dumb question! They are a form of advertising that is pushed from an app in the form of a notification. Most apps are supposed to tell you this in all the gorp you read before you download, but, you know the drill :) hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Erikbal

Reaction score
Oh ok I see, I don't think I really get any of this or if I do not many.

GVLBob

Reaction score
It may not be a phantom notification. If you have automatic update set to ON, the app may have automatically updated since the notification was received. So My Apps won't show anything that you need to update.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Erik... I should have also added that push notifications are also used as a mechanism to push useful information as well (not just advertisments). Just need to get use to sorting out the good stuff from the bad :blink: Have a great Thanksgiving!

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
It may not be a phantom notification. If you have automatic update set to ON, the app may have automatically updated since the notification was received. So My Apps won't show anything that you need to update.

Need to look out for this as well.
Thanks for the insight!

GVLBob

Reaction score
Need to look out for this as well.
Thanks for the insight!

I see the automatic updates as a desirable feature rather than something "to look out for". One just has to understand what is happening when you go to My Apps and not see anything to update.

Perhaps you meant "be aware of" when you said "look out for". If so, I agree.