Pete - Questions about your FRG83G "Master" OTA File

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by jntdroid, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Pete - the FRG83G OTA file here, is there a reason it won't flash through stock recovery? It gives a signature verification error every time. I would think if it was the official OTA file, it would flash through stock recovery - since that's what the actual OTA file will do.

I'm trying to update my "back to stock w/o rsd lite" tutorial here, and having a true Master FRG83G OTA file that can be flashed on all three major recoveries is key (like we had with FRG22D). Thanks for any input.

2. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure why, I havn't tried flashing it myself. What is odd about that file is that it is a "test" file as noted by the keys in the build.prop. It is not meant to be the "release" that was pushed ota to everyone. Once I post the final FRG83G updated I would try to flash that (I am waiting for my stock droid to receive the update). You could throw together a zip file that would be flashed in a custom recovery (clockwork, sp, rz, etc) that would flash stock recovery, not include superuser binary and app, and unroot the phone.

#2 peteralfonso, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Thanks for the response. It does the latter already - putting stock recovery back on the phone. I just wanted to have a file that flashed via stock recovery as well as the customs, just b/c I'm anal like that.

I'll just wait and see what you put together once the final OTA hits your phone, or see if I can get mine to grab a "master" OTA, instead of the smaller one, once my phone is pinged for it. I was able to do that on 22D, but who knows this time...

4. peteralfonso

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    If they already have the stock recovery why would they still be rooted?

5. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
    In the off chance that they rooted without a custom recovery, like easy or z4 or something... I know that represents a small (if not non-existent) percentage of the rooted population, and acknowledge the anal nature of my thinking. ;) Actually, now that I think about it, I don't even know if those work on the latest builds... I was out of "the game" for a couple of months, so I could be going off of old info in thinking that anybody could be rooted with stock recovery.

6. peteralfonso

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah those apps work off an exploit that Google fixed in 2.2.2 so it will no longer work on FRG83G or any Gingerbread release.

7. peteralfonso

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    All files on my site have been updated and post written about FRG83G

8. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
    cool - thanks again

9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
  10. peteralfonso

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a ton man! Didnt realize there ever was a master ota frg22d? I turned off pm on forums because they quickly stacked up to hundreds.

11. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
    I can imagine on the PMs! Yeah when FRG22D came out, I flashed back to ESE81, and instead of the small patch, it sent me that file. This is what I'm hoping I can do when my phone is pinged for 83G, but it's not looking great at this point.

Motocache verified everything in it for me, and I can also verifiy that it updates the baseband, updates the bootloader to 2C.7C, replaces any non-stock recovery with stock recovery, and obviously replaces the /system with FRG22D's /system. It was the reason I initially started the tutorial, b/c it was an easy way to revert to stock without having to .sbf or even hookup to a computer. Until 83D was released, it would flash on stock recovery in addition to SPR or CW.

12. B-boy™

B-boy™ Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey peter, since you're on... nobody has been able to really help on this but maybe you can. A few of us themers are trying to make the lockscreen background animated. In roms that point to a hex code, i write in a @drawable/png and have written a new xml with 6 anim.png's and pointed to that. It compiles but only reads the first anim.. i dont know if it needs to be hard coded into the rom with a start() or run() or if we can hijack another animated system like stat_sys_upload and then add in however many pngs we need to complete the "animation".... any ideas?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App