Pet Peeves about Android

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is my main pet peeve. I don't like how you have to send all your non google and corporate email through gmail to get it to work. I believe there would be alot more of us using Android if the mail client was somewhat close to what Blackberry has set up. I know my husband would buy a Droid or Nexus in a minute if the mail was set up without having to go through gmail.

As it happens, it suits me fine since I've been using gmail for several years. But I agree completely that the gmail "pass thru" is a dealbreaker for some customers. Even worse, it's a dealbreaker for many corporate IT departments either because of security concerns or lack of competence in managing their email networks.

Google faces a dilemma in this regard since they're pushing their own enterprise level email, calendaring, document, and collaboration solutions in direct competition with Microsoft's products; a problem that RIM (BlackBerry) doesn't confront.

As it is, there are some jerry-built solutions (such as the one I posted) and some third party solutions (such as the one noted in a post above) that can resolve the problem for an individual user. (And frankly, if one isn't willing to pay $20 to solve the problem, I don't know what to tell you. On the other hand, a medium sized corporation with a thousand phones may view a $20,000 cost as unnecessary when Microsoft or RIM don't involve such costs.)

All in all, as I've complained about ad nauseum on this forum, a major problem for the Droid (and other Android devices) is satisfying folks like your husband and a colleague of mine who returned his Droid because he simply couldn't put up with the complexity (and limitations) of using the phone for his business needs.

Until the Android platform "grows up" enough to compete for corporate clients, it's going to face inherent constraints in developing its market.

OP
jbsangel

jbsangel

Reaction score
This is my main pet peeve. I don't like how you have to send all your non google and corporate email through gmail to get it to work. I believe there would be alot more of us using Android if the mail client was somewhat close to what Blackberry has set up. I know my husband would buy a Droid or Nexus in a minute if the mail was set up without having to go through gmail.
I guess I'm missing something here? I send mail from my exchange account just fine, and it shows up as from my work address. Attachments send and the disclaimer that goes on all of our work email shows up.

No signature of course, which sucks.

Now, the email app itself leaves something to be desired, but I am not buying touchdown for one because I don't like the UI and also because my business needs haven't escalated to the point of needing it yet.

I have read a few threads on other forums and on google about the complaints with exchange as far as log in and security and the Droid not supporting advanced security stuff and I think those are valid and real complaints. The Droid and other Android devices don't hold a flame to WinMo or Blackberry devices for this endeavor yet, because the Exchange support, both on the surface for the user and under the hood in terms of security requirements, is sorely lacking.

baniels

Reaction score
Here is a google bother:

When I open google for the first time, there is only one search field. When I type in there, I have the GO button to click when I am done typing.

From a results page, I have TWO fields - the top and the bottom. Often I am editing my search in the top field. In this case, the GO button is replaced by a NEXT button. If I click on the next button, I am brought to the bottom search field which contains the text of my original search.

I understand the reason for having this ability to "tab" through input fields, but this only gets in the way of efficiency for google searching.

Pelican

Reaction score
I've had my phone since the week it was released and absolutely love it, but I'm disappointed in the actual phone function. the sound quality for me is very poor, voices in the earpiece are muffled and difficult to understand, and I get the same complaint from callers on the other end. I also cradle the phone often between my cheek and shoulder, but no one can hear me speak when I do that, I had no problems with other phones.

I've got a Plantronix ear piece, but I don't find that to be of much help except in the quietest ares.

For me, the phone portion is the weakest part of the phone, seems a bit ironic.

ocaptainjr2

Reaction score
Main peeve is the call log doesn't group calls...for example, I call/get calls from the same few people multiple times a day. My old phone listed the person once and then I could go in and view all of the history; the Droid shows each call as a separate entry so my call log is fills up with the same few names over and over again...

OP
jbsangel

jbsangel

Reaction score
Main peeve is the call log doesn't group calls...for example, I call/get calls from the same few people multiple times a day. My old phone listed the person once and then I could go in and view all of the history; the Droid shows each call as a separate entry so my call log is fills up with the same few names over and over again...
Hmm, I don't think I would like that. I prefer to see the calls sequentially so that every unique call gets an entry, not every unique caller. But, I do wish clicking on a caller, ie viewing the contact, would list all the calls from that person.

And that reminds me of another peeve. why does the frequently called list just put every single person i've called in it, and why can't i clear the list. useless...

dub8420

Reaction score
yeah, but a great thing about android is the marketplace and you can replace these default apps that aren't as nice as you'd like (e.g. handcent over the standard messaging app).

OP
jbsangel

jbsangel

Reaction score
yeah, but a great thing about android is the marketplace and you can replace these default apps that aren't as nice as you'd like (e.g. handcent over the standard messaging app).

Hmm I wouldn't say "replace" as accurate. You can use these apps in place of, but they don't replace. And sometimes they just add extra clunk and slow the device down.

Tradeoffs, which is fine, but I just feel like some things you shouldn't have to find an app for.