Personalized Notification Sounds

dwscott

Reaction score
I was wondering if it was possible to set notification sounds specific to certain contacts like you can do for ringtones. I cannot figure it out. If the phone will not let you do that is there an app you can get that will?

MarkDF

Reaction score
I use Handcent SMS and get personalized notifications for texts.

droidhero

Reaction score
I think Missed Call will also let you do the same. Its what I use for customizing notifications.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
how is it set in Handcent?

When you open Handcent you can go to Menu > settings > and you'll have notification options that will work as the default for all of Handcent.

When you have a thread open with a contact, click the settings button in the top right hand corner and you can set the notification settings for that specific contact.

Erich_F

Reaction score
I'm trying to do the same thing...but all Handcent does is pull up the stock canned notifications from the Droid. No option that I see for a custom sound, instead.

mrgagentleman

Reaction score
I don't know how to make it play actual ringtones, which sucks. The best I can tell you to do is go to Market and download a soundboard from someone you like....and save one of their soundbytes as your notification ringtone. I use one of Chris Tucker's soundbytes.

Not what you may want, I know, but it's at least better than using one of Droid's ringtones.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you can use ringtones/ notifications of your choice (custom) by creating folders on your sd card

go to you SD card (on Astro or Estrongs) and create a folder called 'ringtones' and one called 'notifications'. place the audio files you wish to your for custom ringtone or notification in the corresponding folder. re set your sd card (either with an app or power on/off) and when you go into Handcent, or any app, the files you placed in the folder with show up in the list of ringtones/notifications.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did download and install RingDroid, which is a great little app. It actually created the folders on the SD card for me, which was nice:

/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones
/sdcard/media/audio/notifications

Now in the future, I can either use RingDroid to customize songs or sounds, or simply drag and drop whatever I want into those folders. This stuff needs to get into the Droid FAQ...good info.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did download and install RingDroid, which is a great little app. It actually created the folders on the SD card for me, which was nice:

/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones
/sdcard/media/audio/notifications

Now in the future, I can either use RingDroid to customize songs or sounds, or simply drag and drop whatever I want into those folders. This stuff needs to get into the Droid FAQ...good info.

ringdroid did exactly what i was talking about. glad it works for ya.

whiddles

Reaction score
this works great. but can anyone download tones from funformobile?

whiddles

Reaction score
also how do you stop getting the sms messages twice? i get it from the stock and the handcent

Erich_F

Reaction score
Which would you prefer to use? If you only want Handcent to get the messages, go into the preferences in your stock Messaging app, and uncheck Auto-Retrieve and turn off Notifications.

FireDroid

Reaction score
I just got handcent and got it all set up right except I have every number duplicated in the contacts, it wasnt like this before I did hndcent, I have looked all over the phone for a thing I can uncheck, any ideas???