personalize ringtones

james.l.love

Reaction score
I understand how to change the ring tone, but how do you change the tone for different folks?

cryptosporidia

Reaction score
I use ringdroid. I put a particular song on my droid that I want to associate with that person, open ringdroid and it will take a section of that song and make a ring tone out of it. Then it gives you the option to set that as the ring tone for a contact. It works great for me.

littleowl

Reaction score
Go to your contacts. Select the contact you want to set a ringtone for. Click the menu button (far left button). click edit, move to bottom where it says additional info. click the arrow and move down to the bottom where it says call handling/ring-tone click the arrow and select your ring-tone.

spicyhambone

Reaction score
i'm having trouble with ringtones on Droid X. my phone will not let me switch ringtones and alert tones to anything new. here's what i mean: i open Zedge, i download a blaster sound, i go to settings and change my alert to blaster. but then, when i get a text, my phone says "DROOOOID". same with ringtones. i cropped a song with Ringdroid and wanted to make that my new ringer. i went into settings and set it. when i got a call, it was the old ringtone.

it's frustrating, because this phone is supposed to be so customizable and user friendly. am i missing a step, or what?

thanks!

Iam2taz

Reaction score
settings

It is in your settings... notifications, etc.... It took me a while to find it. Once I did it was a piece of cake.

jst4fun

Reaction score
uses ringtones for just about everyone in my contacts. Its easy and fast.
Contacts
Edit
Additional info
scroll down to you see Call Handling....there you set ringtones per contact.

spicyhambone

Reaction score
pretty sure my problem is due to activating the "Smart Profile". Droid Support forum has a whole thing about it here. i guess i just have to hope they address my problem in the next update.

to clarify: i go to Settings --> Sound & Display --> Phone Ringtone... then i change my phone ringtone from a system ringtone to one i've downloaded from Zedge. when my phone rings next, it will still ring with the system tone, not the one i got from Zedge.

my other option seems to be a factory setting reset, but i'm pretty sure i'd screw up the backup process and have to start from scratch with all my settings and what not. so i'll live with the system ringtones for now.

don't enable Smart Profile, guys.

radioamatoro

Reaction score
A co-worker of mine asked me this very question regarding her Droid. I assumed she could personalize her contact ringtones the same way I can with my Droid X: pull up contact, Edit, Additional Information, Call Handling, select ringtone. Oddly enough, she does not have a "call handling" field under any of her contacts. What am I missing? She's running 2.2 OTA (I am assuming), but definitely not rooted. Any suggestions? Thanks.

:motdroidhoriz:

Mavix

Reaction score
My wife has the Droid and I have the Droid X...she's got hers down pat and I'm still playing with my X.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go to your contacts. Select the contact you want to set a ringtone for. Click the menu button (far left button). click edit, move to bottom where it says additional info. click the arrow and move down to the bottom where it says call handling/ring-tone click the arrow and select your ring-tone.

A slightly quicker way is Contacts>select contact>menu> Edit Options>ringtone then select your tone for that contact. SHould be the same outcome just less physical work

littleowl

Reaction score

A slightly quicker way is Contacts>select contact>menu> Edit Options>ringtone then select your tone for that contact. SHould be the same outcome just less physical work

I beleave that is what i was saying. Maybe not your explination is better writen either way. :)

voyageurs60

Reaction score
It is in your settings... notifications, etc.... It took me a while to find it. Once I did it was a piece of cake.

Where is it? Can't find it... saying you got it to work does not help those of us trying to figure it out... please post steps and menus... thanks

detacht69

Reaction score
ringdroid limits me to 15 seconds?? surely there must be a way to use longer clips

I have a mp3 that's about 22 seconds.. how do i make that a ringtone?