Persistent Talkback Icon Bug w/ 4.1.2. Update

BrendonSF

Reaction score
I've seen mention of this issue elsewhere. After updating, I got the talkback icon loading in the notification tray upon every reboot, even though the service has been turned off in settings. I went a step further and renamed the talkback.apk, and still have the issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

frankb92

Reaction score
Talkback

I've seen mention of this issue elsewhere. After updating, I got the talkback icon loading in the notification tray upon every reboot, even though the service has been turned off in settings. I went a step further and renamed the talkback.apk, and still have the issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have the same problem, I kill the process and it returns after you reboot.
I disabled talkback and it shows up in settings.

ArtieD

Reaction score
To remove the "Talkback is activated" icon and notice in Notifications you need to disable Talkback. To disable Talkback
1. Open Phone Settings
2. Select Application Manager
3. Select the All tab (because this is built-in, not downloaded)
4. Scroll to the App Talkback
4. Select Deactivate
Reboot and it should be gone.

I made the Talkback notification turn on and off before I disabled it. Doubt that is necessary though. The easiest way to turn the Talkback Notification off is to turn different Accessibility Service on or off. When you turn on Talkback you have to know how it works to turn it off. To select any item you need to press it once to highlight it and allow it to say which button was selected. Then tap the button twice to get the button to perform its action. The other trick is that scrolling takes two fingers instead of the normal one finger.

Incidentally, you can use this disable method to get rid of other bloatware.

OP
B

BrendonSF

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Artie. But unfortunately, I have already disabled Talkback (renaming the APK has the same effect as disabling it). From what I understand, this is a bug with Touchwiz that is the result of me using Lightflow. I read elsewhere that Samsung is aware of the problem, and has promised to fix it in the next release.

ArtieD

Reaction score
I think you are right Brandon, that Lightflow has something to do with the Talkback notification in your case. I turned off all of my Accessibility Services and the Talkback Notification has not returned. Actually, I find now I can't turn on the two Apps that I have that need Accessibility permissions (Able Remote and Tasker). I can live without them for now.

I don't quite see the big benefit of Lightflow. I control my light notifications with Handcent for SMS, K-9 Mail for email and Missed Call for Missed phone calls. That's enough blinking lights for me.

tnronin

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I don't have light flow and it won't shut the hell up. LOL. I've disabled etc with no luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mlind

Reaction score
I disabled Talkbalk from my app list and rebooted. the app is gone from my app list, but the darn Talkback icon is still there! :mad:

tnronin

Reaction score
I think this is just a glitch. The icon is for accessibility not talk back. I may be wrong. My talkback has been disabled and rolled back with no change. I have to open talkback then exit. But with that said, it's not running on reboot.

mlind

Reaction score
I think this is just a glitch. The icon is for accessibility not talk back. I may be wrong. My talkback has been disabled and rolled back with no change. I have to open talkback then exit. But with that said, it's not running on reboot.

oh. then how do I get rid of the accessibility icon in the notification bar?

tnronin

Reaction score
I have done the following. Accessibility/talkback (mine is OFF)/settings. Back out and it will go away. While I was in there I turned that voice volume down real low. HTH

mlind

Reaction score
I have done the following. Accessibility/talkback (mine is OFF)/settings. Back out and it will go away. While I was in there I turned that voice volume down real low. HTH

I disabled Talkback from Settings--> App Mgr --> All, so it's not even there. When I go to Settings--> Accessibility, there isn't even a Talkback option yet the &#!(@ hand notification icon is still there :mad:

hajabarala

Reaction score
oh. then how do I get rid of the accessibility icon in the notification bar?

I got the alert removed finally. I have a S3(rooted). First of all I uninstalled Talkback using Titanium Plus. But even after that, the notification icon was showing(even after restart). That was because I had one accessibility service turned on. I turned off that service from settings>Accessibility>Services>Turn off, and then turned it back on. And voila, Talkback is gone forever!!

chaseg

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
This is an old thread, but...

This has been annoying me for a while, the Talkback icon being there after every startup, even though Talkback wasn't enabled. Enabling and then disabling Talkback made the icon go away, but it turns out this was a bit of a red herring (as was the fact that the notification clearly said "Talkback is activated" o_O)

As hajabarala said, the issue was in fact that there was an Accessibility option other than Talkback enabled, just not one I ever thought of as accessibility. In my case, the culprit was that I use LastPass, and had the LastPass accessibility service enabled, which is what allows LastPass to autofill fields without going through the convolutions of using the LastPass keyboard. I disabled that, and the Talkback icon is gone.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for sharing that, chaseg. I never would have thought about LastPass using the accessibility feature!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum chase!
I had a similar issue with Talkback & the Dynamic Notifications app after one of the later Jelly Bean updates on my S3. Frustrating for sure. Thanks for the input!

tap'n on my S5