Permissions

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Pro' started by mikacutie, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mikacutie

mikacutie New Member

Very new to droid, coming from Blackberry.
    I want to get an SMS app, but the Permissions that apps like Handcent and GoSMS say things like 'modify/delete SD card' and other things. Has anyone had this happen, lost pics or music stored on their card, possibly due to some app that's on the ph one? I had one guy in a VZ store tell me that they can possibly store something on your SD card, but can't delete it. I am just afraid of losing some things on my SD card or acquiring used minutes because an app has made phone calls I am unaware of. Is there any reason to be concerned, it seems many people use these apps.

Do Anti-virus apps prevent this? My apologies, if this is unnecessarily long.
  2. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 New Member

Never had any apps do anything malicious on my phone. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I wouldn't be too worried. Lots of apps store data on the sd card, so they have to have write permissions for that.
  3. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

Lots of people using Handcent on their phones and I have never heard of a user complaining about the app deleting something from their sd card or doing anything out of the ordinary. Some apps use the sd card as a "temporary" storage location for data it uses to free up internal memory, then deletes the data when finished...much like a PC uses the hard drive as a temporary storage location. I wouldn't be overly concerned.
  4. mikacutie

mikacutie New Member

ok great, then I guess I will try it :icon_ banana: