permanent screen marks?

rewdey

Reaction score
Anybody else have marks that wont go away after cleaning on their screen? They dont look like scratches more like little semi circles the size of a pencil eraser over various parts maybe about 5-6 of them? they normaly show up when the phone is very dirty I tried using a eyeglass cleaner spray and that seemed to work for a while but they came back as the finger prints came back. I know they havent gone away when it looks clean as i can breath on the screen and the fog makes them show up right away. Its very wierd cuz i know how scratch resistant it is. Searched the boards for a previous but no luck. LOVE this phone as its the first phone that truly does what i feel like its supposed to other then sounding like a tin can on speaker phone.

7thDroid

Reaction score
What's up R. I know what you mean. My Droid has two permanent [vertical] lines that are permanent right in the center of screen. I have tried everything but nothing removes it. The lines do bug but I guess I'll have to clean the phone after each call. It really does suck. I took it to the Verizon store and they wanted to give me a certified new phone. I decided to stick with mine as it's new. Truly I am disappointed with VZW and Motorola and will be looking to upgrade to something else in Nov or paying the termination fee and going somewhere else.

OP
R

rewdey

Reaction score
the weird thing is, it seems like more show up from time to time if i clean it with cleaner they go away and you cant tell they're there unless you fog it up or hold it in very direct sunlight theyre very bizarre they almost look like little C's Im thinking about taking the phone bacck and seeing what the verizon store says. I'm not the original owner i got it from a guy i know that couldnt afford the data plan. But its still under the one year waranrty.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Strange anyone would have scratch marks after watching the scratch test some dummy on Youtube did with his keys. I'd figure you'd need to drop it, take a razor blade to it, sandpaper that bad boy, or some other deliberate means of destruction to really scratch the screen.

smrivera80

Reaction score
To some extent, you have to expect that on a touch screen, there are going to be fingerprints and marks on the areas of the phone most used (like the area where you unlock the screen or answer a call will almost always have a smudge mark going horizontally across). It sounds like you've had relatively good luck with eyeglass cleaner, but I don't know how comfortable I'd be with using liquid on the phone. I've had good luck with a dry, soft microfiber cloth.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I've found that a suede material will wipe the screen totally clean. Every now and then I squirt a little hand sanitizer on the screen and wipe it off with a soft cloth. You just don't want to go and use the Droid in place of your rubber ducky in the bathtub. :)

OP
R

rewdey

Reaction score
well first off i use a glasses cleaner kit that has that fine misting spraying pump nozzle on so the spray is fairly confined to where i spray it,sometimes i just spray the cloth it is a miicro fiber that came with it it does a decent job on its own as well. The thing is these are PERMANENT marks, they arent jagged scratches or smudges they are defects in the glass i believe the more i look into it. I can clean the screen and have it absolutely spot less but i can still see the faint marks in direct sunlight or breathing on it and fogging it up is when you REALLY see them. The same marks are always the same shape and in the exact same position. These are def permanent from what i can tell. The only other thing i can think of it being is some of chemical residue that left a mark during the manufacture process that doesnt dissolve when i clean it with the solution. The marks are more apparent when the screen is dirty because the grease catches the outer and inner ridges of the mark like the whorl of a finger print, the grease doesnt catch the raised part. I'm gonna try to get pictures of this some how. But I still want to see what the verizon store says about this. Thanks for the comments.

7thDroid

Reaction score
R, don't even bother going to the store. They'll tell u it doesn't affect performance so they won't exchange it. I'm just gonna live with this until I can upgrade in November. Vzw is not the company it once was. Customer service has declined. If u go it would be interesting what they tell u.

OP
R

rewdey

Reaction score
im not disputing anybody im just trying to better explain the situation, im not new to cell phones by a long just new to droids, big tech geek here so I'm fairly familiar with touch screens its just perplexing to me, Id be curious if others started with a eye clean screen and then tried fogging it up or looking in direct sunlock, id be curious what defects theirs has.

cuskit

Reaction score
Makes me all the more glad I use a screen protector (I bought the standard VZW 3-Pak) and have no issues. I'm still on the first protector, applied back in Nov '09! And I work in a production environment - a custom cabinet wood shop.

It'd be interesting if you could post some close up shots. It sounds to me like it might be as the above poster stated - a repetitious swipe area on your screen. Do these appear over sections that you routinely swipe a widget, etc.?

Post pix - now you have us curious! :) mikey

7thDroid

Reaction score
Here are the pics. Now, this was a "brand new" not a "certified like new". I picked up on April 2nd. Clearly there is something going on with the screen. I really doubt Motorola would release a product with these two lines on the screen. Took it back to verizon and they told me they would not give me another new one because the performance of the phone is not affected and that I will just have to clean the screen after every call. Like I said, i've been a long time customer of verizon.

spoooon

Reaction score
Which two lines? The finger grease smudge? From the pics, that's about the only thing I could see.