Perhaps a Forum name change?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I am not sure I care about the name. What matters most is the hardware and software.
Also, I am seeing the Samsung Charge now being advertised as the Droid Charge.

Well said. They could call this thing "The Fluffy Banana" and I would be all over it if its core is as a nexus should be.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

capt. dan

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but when you say Bing, what are you talking about?

mamawm

Reaction score
microsoft created bing to compete with google. when a phone is binged, it has microsoft's bing search engine, bing maps, etc. preinstalled on the phone and they are the default.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mamawm is correct. If you buy a Verizon phone with Bing and don't plan to root it, you're stuck. This was the case with the Fascinate. However, if you're into rooting and roming, Bing is nothing to be concerned about since it can be easily removed.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A locked down phone + Bing would be like.... I can't even find the words... you'd have to pay me to take the phone.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
A locked down phone + Bing would be like.... I can't even find the words... you'd have to pay me to take the phone.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't even pay me to take a phone like that. Unless....I was paid enough to buy an unlocked phone with the money :) and then be allowed to smash the Binged phone with a Google hammer.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait, from your description, I found the words... a locked phone + bing would be like..... an iphone... because that is exactly what you just described..

mamawm

Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, in my opinion, if I wanted a phone with bing, I'd buy a windows phone. When I buy an Android phone, I want google all the way.

capt. dan

Reaction score
I did not know that android had Microsoft Bing. That seems a little crazy to me. I just switched from a original Droid to a thunderbolt and don't care for the extra bloat. Couldn't imagine being stuck with Bing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did not know that android had Microsoft Bing. That seems a little crazy to me. I just switched from a original Droid to a thunderbolt and don't care for the extra bloat. Couldn't imagine being stuck with Bing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

It's not Android that has Bing, but more specifically Verizon's non-Droid branded Android phones (i.e. Fascinate). Verizon's Droid lineup is and always will be pure google. I believe the Thunderbolt is the only non-Droid that wasn't Binged. Fascintate > Binged; Revolution > Binged.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not Android that has Bing, but more specifically Verizon's non-Droid branded Android phones (i.e. Fascinate). Verizon's Droid lineup is and always will be pure google. I believe the Thunderbolt is the only non-Droid that wasn't Binged. Fascintate > Binged; Revolution > Binged.

Not really sure I would say "Pure Google"... but I know what you are saying.

Edit: What I mean is most take "Pure Google" to be what you get on a nexus device, which some claim Verizon has never had whiles others claim the D1 was "Pure Google" for them.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
I'd bet that half the people who posted in this thread own the phone that was droid branded, premiered an almost vanilla android OS, an unlocked bootloader, and was google branded.

Droid Prime is very much a possibility.

And to the above poster D1 was as close to pure without Nexus branding as you could get.

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
True I did have a d1 for quite some time and loved it. The debate over pure Google is an interesting one. It did have an unlocked bootloader and was a dev's dream. Also there were no manufacturer installed uis which was nice.
The non-Google part I assume people would refer to was the preloaded software you couldn't get rid of without root. Curse you Amazon MP3! (the original reason for me rooting, darn thing always ran in the background and I couldn't uninstall it...)
Pure or not it was a great phone and the most hacked one I've had to date.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...