Perfect ROM for me?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Clinton70, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Clinton70

Clinton70 New Member

I'm still digesting all the terminology for post-root things you can do so bear with.

I'm looking to enhance the performance of my phone.
    Themes/cosmetic stuff is not a big deal to me, I do want something different but simple. Animated stuff like wallpapers not necessary or wanted.

I have a Moto Droid with 2.2 and is rooted. FRG01 by Pete is on there (not sure if that matters). The over the air update (Adobe 10, fixes, etc) won't work though. It fails on the recovery screen. A manual update to FRG22D won't update either, it aborts on step 7 or something like that.

Maybe I need to start fresh? I'm looking for a perfect rom. I know there's alot of them here but also alot of time.
    I want:
    -updated everything and OTA (when they come) not to fail
    -better battery life (it sucks now, it went from half to dead while at a bar)
    -less clutter running in background, I don't need craigslist running all the time
    -no bloatware like Amazon MP3(My VZW is ok)
    -like to have more than 8 icons and 2 widgets on the center screen
    -performance ain't bad but an improvement would be cool. Not interested in over-clocking, crap sounds dangerous.

Based on those, what is a good rom or what do you guys use that have all that?

Mostly, I hate the battery life. This has died many times at unfortunate places and i don't want to carry the charger around.

Plus, will ESPN ever be updated? The program is buggy as hell mostly with the touch screen links. Deleted the widget.
  2. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Kk, first problem I see. If you are going to root and run a custom rom, you do NOT want ANY updates coming to your phone, or your phone will lose root.
    Don't worry about apps in memory. I guess you are using a Task Killer? Drop it. Android does a mighty fine job of managing running task itself.
    Almost all roms give you some way to remove these apps, but most come with them installed already.
    This relies on a certain launcher. Download a launcher replacement like ADW.Launcher or LauncherPro and you will be able to pick how many columns and rows you want.
    These phones handle overclocking VERY well. A simple 800Mhz or 1Ghz overclock would improve performance a ton and most likely not cause any problems on the phone. I've had my phone overclocked since early spring @1Ghz and have had no problems :)

I recommend something simple for you. Try Ultimate Droid or Bugless Beast. If you are looking for something a little more complex but something that runs better and has great features at that, look for Cyanogen, Sapphire, or ShadowRom. All of these are decent roms at least, so you will enjoy your choice either way.

How should we know? Email the developer and ask about it :)
  3. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer Theme Developer

EDIT: tanknspank beat me to it...

Kk, first problem I see. If you are going to root and run a custom rom, you do NOT want ANY updates coming to your phone, or your phone will lose root.
    Don't worry about apps in memory. I guess you are using a Task Killer? Drop it. Android does a mighty fine job of managing running task itself.
    Almost all roms give you some way to remove these apps, but most come with them installed already.
    This relies on a certain launcher. Download a launcher replacement like ADW.Launcher or LauncherPro and you will be able to pick how many columns and rows you want.
    These phones handle overclocking VERY well. A simple 800Mhz or 1Ghz overclock would improve performance a ton and most likely not cause any problems on the phone. I've had my phone overclocked since early spring @1Ghz and have had no problems :)

I recommend something simple for you. Try Ultimate Droid or Bugless Beast. If you are looking for something a little more complex but something that runs better and has great features at that, look for Cyanogen, Sapphire, or ShadowRom. All of these are decent roms at least, so you will enjoy your choice either way.

How should we know? Email the developer and ask about it :)
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  4. Clinton70

Clinton70 New Member

Noted on all.

I will look those roms up.