Perfect recipe for great battery life (BB)…

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by mza929, Jul 8, 2010.

1. hendrixj92

hendrixj92 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    24+ hours with my settings (in signiture) and thats with my heavy txting (750-1000 a day easy). low brightness. no gps. sync on. NO juice defender. reg launcher. and i love it. dancedroid

2. bill d.

bill d. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get two full days on one charge with the standard moto battery. Yes. two days on one charge. Heavy texting, and random 3G/wifi use for internet/email/etc. Example, my battery is @ 40%, and my phone says 1 day, 17 hours since unplugged. I'll take a screen cap if anyone doesn't believe me.

-Screen brightness at 0, unless I'm outside (then its on auto).
    -Turned off: Wifi and data networks (unless I'm using them), data sync (do it manually), GPS.
    -Auto Memory Manager set to Aggressive, with a whitelist for a few widgets, progams, and system things.

Bugless Beast 0.4 w/ Nextheme, and Chevy ulv 1ghz (using Pete's overclocking speed, and SetCPU just monitoring speeds and temps).

3. buckfill

buckfill Member

Ratings:
    +0

I have a very similar setup and agree completley (maybe not the juice defender part).

4. skyyaa

skyyaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you leave Autosync on and rely on JD to regulate it? And how often do you have JD set to sync? Also do you leave your 3g enabled all the time?

I tried using JD but found it used more battery than simply manually turning off sync via the power strip widget when I don't need it. But I'm also not getting 48 hours+ battery, so I'm curious.

5. Axium

Axium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    where do you find out the time since unplugged? i found the time since boot but not the time since unplugged :X

6. cooltool

cooltool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Settings -> About Phone -> Battery Use... at the top of the page it should say xxh xxm xxs since unplugged.

7. trauph

trauph New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a great post. Although each phone is slightly different it seems, this forum aggregates the info and makes it easy to spot the trends that generally result in good battery life. I'll repost with my setup....no time right now.

Keep'em coming!

8. DavetheSnake

DavetheSnake New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    30+ hours ish...right now.

I'm running Bugless Beast V0.4 with Pete's stock kernel (800Mhz). I also have SetCPU, an advanced task killer, and the power control widget to control wifi, gps, sync, etc.

Sync is off when I am in the office (8 am - 5:30 pm because I am usually close to a computer), and it is on when I am not. I hardly ever use GPS unless I have to. Also, I am on wifi when I get home. I have read that Wifi uses less battery than 3G, so I definitely do that. I average about 1-2 hours of phone calls daily, 100-200 texts, 25-50 emails, 1-2 hours of internet between surfing the web, Facebook and Twitter.

I have been averaging about 30 hours or so per charge, and it seems to be increasing as each charge passes. I just downloaded Juice Defender and I'll let you know if that adds any more life to my battery.

This is much welcomed from the 12-15 hours that I was getting in the previous versions of BB before it went to Froyo.

9. mza929

mza929 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This are the types of responses I was looking for, thank you!

Does anyone know if (not) wiping data/cache effects battery performance?

10. quadjacks

quadjacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I mostly agree with this arrangement. My question is, no matter which kernel i use, BB v.4 will make the necessary adjustments?

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Look, unless you have a bad install, bad battery, or some rogue app, the ONLY significant impact on your battery life is how long your display is on and how bright. This is THE major reason some complain about 10 hours of battery while others glow about getting 24+.

I keep my display on 0 all the time - I get 12 hours with minimal usage and 10 hours with moderate usage. Display is 70-80% of my battery usage - if I let my phone sleep, I could probably see 36-48 hours on a single charge. None of the apps, monitors or anything else I use takes significant battery by itself (not me using it actively) - nothing registers even 2% except display, voice calls, cell standby, wifi, sweeter home, android system and android OS. The most "extra" battery I could imagine squeezing out with everything perfectly optimized might be 5%, which would be less than an actual hour of phone usage.

The batteries all have pretty much the same capacity. There are no real tweaks to gain beyond kernel and rom. There is nothing magical anyone is doing to "get great" battery life, it's just how they are using their phone. There should be no "battery leak" when your phone is not in use, it's almost entirely dependent on the apps you use and how you use them - nothing you can really do to have an app take "less" power when you are using it, and none of these should be taking hardly any power when not being used, even widgets and services that update or poll (well, maybe if for some reason you set them to update every 5 minutes).

There is one program I can think of to help my battery life (and not aware of its existence) - and that is one that uses orientation/accelerometer to know when it's flat on a surface or in a dark pants pocket I'm not using it and go into sleep mode, and when I pick it up to turn it on to my preferred brightness. I DO NOT like the hassle of waking and unlocking my phone, but the 12 hours of battery life pains me.

#23 kodiak799, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  12. floyd

floyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I always try to top up my battery from USB on my PC so I have near 100% when I leave work. Who the heck wouldn't if they were able? There's just no magic fix for the battery life issues for "power users"of smart phones. The tech just ain't there yet.

But I've had my Droid for about 7 months, and knowing the current state of the art of lithium ion batteries, it's probably about time to spring for a replacement battery.

After a couple hundred charge cycles, these things materially deteriorate in performance, especially when often being pushed hard.

I see you can get the real deal for around 10 bucks on Amazon/Ebay.

I suspect one might get a major boost in battery performance just by swapping in a new one.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Will report back.