Perfect recipe for great battery life (BB)…

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by mza929, Jul 8, 2010.

1. mza929

mza929 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all: thought it would be helpful to start a thread to discuss battery life (in know the issue has ben beaten to death) but it seems most of the info is scattered around the forums.

What is your recipe for great battery life? For instance, here is mine (however it is not the greatest)!

ROM: BB 0.4 :)
    Kernel: 2.632-ulowV1.2ghz
    Set CPU: 250 min, 1000 max (i can go up to 1200) Sleep 250mhz max.
    Apps: Juice defender
    Settings: GPS off, try to have my data sync every hr.
    Theme: DroidX
    Usage: 2hrs of talk, 50txt/emails, medium browser usage
    This equals (for me) around 20-22hrs of battery life

Share some tips ok tricks that some noobs might not know ;)

**** ok i wanted to give an update, and some thanks...
    I switched to the 125 slot kernel and noticed some increased life (although sacrificing some performance)
    I tries Screebl... didn't love it. I pretty much am in the habit of turning my screen off immediately after I am done with my phone. It got in the way more than it helped, i recommend still trying it... it would be awesome if it had the feature whereas you could set your phone down, and the screen would turn off.
    I updated juice defender settings (i will be posting screen shot soon).
    Added auto memory manager and set very agressive!
    THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS!
    Now i am averaging over 30hrs of battery life! :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. rutger1413

rutger1413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If your sleep is "250ghz max" your phone must be on fire!

3. mza929

mza929 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ha! you are right! my phone just melted!

edit - 250mhz

4. bad4u

bad4u Member

Ratings:
    +0
    with juicedefender there is no point in keeping gps off, plus it doesnt run unless your in an app where it needs it.

Does juicedefender still try and sync every time you wake your phone still? I stopped using it for that reason. Well the auto function that is. I use the vpn widget. Manually kiiling my data connection till I need it. That alone without setcpu will get me close to 20 hrs with heavy use.

5. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How does adding a thread help reduce scatter? There are so many threads that do this in an attempt to consolidate information but unless the threads is stickied it just adds to the clutter.

Rather than focusing on specific settings and step-by-step instructions, people need to keep battery saving strategies in mind. Discussing specific kernels doesn't help since not everyone can run the same kernels. Even some settings may or may not make sense depending on the particular person's needs/wants.

6. mza929

mza929 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am pretty sure since the last update to JD, it does not try to sync data when you wake the phone up...

7. mza929

mza929 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It reduces scatter in the way that most battery discussions are adressed in other threads (with other topics) in a way like this "i get great battery life with so and so kernel" or "so and so's ROM" - when in actuality, multiple factors play into battery life (i listed the major factors for a reason in my OP). For example, you can run any rom you want, and with the wrong kernel or wrong CPU settings, you will have crappy battery life.

The goal was to explain each major variable, and share the outcome. Im sure this is all remedial for you, however most people in the forum could use this info (at least i hope). I do agree that not everyone can run the same ROMs or kernels... but the majority of us can run whatever we want.

Maybe you can add some battery saving strategies then?

8. cooltool

cooltool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is a great idea as I am currently battling to figure out whats the best combination of parameters to give me the best battery.

As an example I keep hearing some people saying if you disable SetCPU you will get better battery. Others say if you use ultra low voltage kernels you get much better life but if you use medium voltage you will run much cooler which to me that doesnt make sense, running cooler should equal using less power = better battery.

ROM: BB 0.4 clean install
    Kernel: P3Droid Standard Voltage 800Mhz (250Mhz slot)
    Set CPU: I had this installed for couple days but currently running with it uninstalled
    Settings: GPS ON but not used by any apps typically, Bluetooth on for an hours each day, auto brightness, screen timeout 30 sec, Wifi off
    Theme: Blue Energy, LauncherPro
    Usage: 2hrs of talk time, 30 texts, gtalk, light browser, 5-15 minutes of games

Around 13-16 hours of battery life.

9. mekman

mekman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my setup:

ROM: BB 0.4 clean install
    Kernel: P3Droid SV 900Mhz
    Settings: 3g data disabled. Running Wifi all day. No GPS or Bluetooth running.
    Theme: Smoked Glass, LauncherPro
    Usage: I don't really keep up with exact time and numbers but I use my phone fairly moderately each day.

All in all I average about 30 hours on a single charge. My temps range from 28 to 35 degrees Celsius.

However, I tried over a dozen different kernels before choosing the one I run now. All the other kernels gave me around 8 to 10 hours on a single charge and high temps.

10. cooltool

cooltool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using the 125 or 250 mhz kernel slots?

11. mekman

mekman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    250mhz slot

12. Psychlone

Psychlone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's how I'm getting EXCELLENT battery life:

BB 0.4
    NexTheme
    Chevyno1's 800MHz ULV

JuiceDefender/UltimateJuice
    (no SetCPU even installed, I'm letting BB do it's job at setting the speed it needs without monitoring or forcing anything)

I have NO programs that monitor anything - the temperature monitors, task killers, startup killers, etc. *ALL* have their own way of polling info, which uses CPU cycles, which in turn use battery.

I used to be one of those people that had all sorts of monitoring apps on my phone, and used to fidget with it all the time trying to get more memory, better battery, more performance, etc. Now, I don't run any of those apps anymore and I've got killer battery life.

I'm currently getting over 48 hours on a single charge with what I consider moderate-high usage.
    2+ hours of calls
    ~2 hours of Grooveshark/Pandora
    ~50 texts (text/pix/vid included)
    ~2 hours of browser
    ~1 hour of WiFi Analyzer/WiFi Mapper/Network Analyzer/etc (I'm an IT)

I'm not going by what JuiceDefender tells me I have, I'm going by actual time since last unplugged. (JD says I have ~63 hours left on a full charge, and if I just let my phone sit there, I'd be willing to bet that it would make it 60 hours without a doubt)

So, moral of the story here is:
    Don't use all those monitoring apps - they take up CPU cycles and use up battery constantly
    Don't use memory management apps - they also take up CPU cycles and battery
    Don't need SetCPU since BB automagically adjusts the min and max that it needs (plus, this ROM is so fast that you really don't need anything more than 800MHz, and the lower voltage the kernel you can run stable, the better battery life you'll get!)
    Don't fidget with your phone constantly - use it for whatever purpose you have and then set it down. You don't need to have your fingers on it all the time! ;)
    Set your brightness to low or at least Auto
    MANUALLY Force Close apps that you're not using via Settings > Applications > Running (again, using task killers/memory managers/startup blockers/etc all poll the system constantly over and over again, using up precious CPU cycles and battery!)

2+ days off a single charge is pretty easy when you're not dicking around all the time and have your phone set up correctly.

Good luck guys!

Psychlone

13. hendrixj92

hendrixj92 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    24+ hours with my settings (in signiture) and thats with my heavy txting (750-1000 a day easy). low brightness. no gps. sync on. NO juice defender. reg launcher. and i love it. dancedroid

14. bill d.

bill d. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get two full days on one charge with the standard moto battery. Yes. two days on one charge. Heavy texting, and random 3G/wifi use for internet/email/etc. Example, my battery is @ 40%, and my phone says 1 day, 17 hours since unplugged. I'll take a screen cap if anyone doesn't believe me.

-Screen brightness at 0, unless I'm outside (then its on auto).
    -Turned off: Wifi and data networks (unless I'm using them), data sync (do it manually), GPS.
    -Auto Memory Manager set to Aggressive, with a whitelist for a few widgets, progams, and system things.

Bugless Beast 0.4 w/ Nextheme, and Chevy ulv 1ghz (using Pete's overclocking speed, and SetCPU just monitoring speeds and temps).

15. buckfill

buckfill Member

Ratings:
    +0

I have a very similar setup and agree completley (maybe not the juice defender part).