people details sync?

evan2001

Reaction score
Hi all,
In the settings/google/sync, what is the "people details".

It seems to be causing sync errors.

Evan

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
People Details is a new sync service related to the recent release of Google Play Games. It was pushed to most (if not all) android devices recently. Its purpose is to tie you together across all Google Play services (the separate services available from the Google Play screen). The idea is to maintain a uniform and unique "identity" for you in all related Google Games so that data from one can potentially be used to "enhance" the user experience in another

Frankly it's more likely that it's to mine data so that you become more valuable as a marketing target for advertisers, since they will know all the different games you play and your "personalities", skill-sets, preferences (the key here being what your hot buttons are), and other unique things about you as the person rather than you as the username. The idea being that the whole (of you or your online gaming identity) is more valuable than the sum of its individual parts (the various individual names or identities you may ultimately elect to use if this weren't done).

A couple lists of what they are mining...

http://developer.android.com/reference/com/google/android/gms/plus/model/people/package-summary.html

If you want to force update go here and push to your device...https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms

App Data and People Details Syncing Now in Google Play Services ? Droid Life

[APK Teardown] Google Play Services 3.1, Part 2 - All Your App Data In The Cloud, A New Cloud-Based Location Service, And More

OP
evan2001

evan2001

Reaction score
Great info.
Well I can tell you this, since it's push I have been having a lot of calendar sync issues.

And I noticed calendar and people sync always had errors. Once I unchecked the people sync my calendar sync issues have seem to have gone away.

So I'm keeping it off.

Evan