1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

People already returning Nexus 1

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by Edmvr6, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

Found this thread on Nexus Forum.............................

Post up here if you returned your N1 and for what reason.

I personally was disappointed with google and how they handled everything. From customer support, ie; weird three way between google htc and tmo, to lack of insurance from the beginning. The battery[​IMG] life and low speaker quality killed it for me too. Yes i understand the screen and other features of the phone eats up the battery but i need to last a full day with out having to put it on the charger at noon ( not exaggerating here) .And i understand that most of the glitches and gripes can be fixed via software upgrades, but i think they shoulda ironed out the kinks more before release.

I actually wasnt that impressed with the snap dragon either. Many times i managed to lag the phone and make it run choppy. And i dont feel i overloaded it at all. But this is all personal opinion mind you. The N1 is the best smartphone on the market today. but its not for everyone. Also i just feel that i can save that money for something better coming later on. (or bills lol)

I actually enjoyed the N1 despite the above. I really like the app market. They need to go through the apps though and get rid of the crappy ones. Also SWYPE was great, a true touch screen saver for hard keyboard[​IMG] users like me, but i just cant tear away from the easy to use yet functional BB. Plus the battery life whew!

Also, with the release of the snapdragon processor i feel that VERY soon there will be dual core processors pushing past the 2GHZ mark. Theres a rumor that the next iphone with have one. ( not that ill ever get one though, cant stand ATT)

If anyone else that returned there phone and is still around the boards or is about to return it then post up!

Im so glad I stayed with my DROID, I was considering makeing the switch but Im real Happy
  2. Echo3

Echo3 New Member

The only thing is that it's not a good image for Google.
  3. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I'll take one of those dual core processors in my Droid please.
  4. 640k

640k New Member

you already have a dual processor. the droid has a dedicated graphics engine and a dual core CPU. the biggest difference is TI vs. Snapdragon and, of course, the speed.

moto has always seemed to get one thing right on its phones, and that's the speaker.

my work neighbor had an N1 and while it's the best HTC device i've seen in a while, i love my DROID for its keyboard, magnetic applications and unique styling.
  5. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

Agreed... they made a big deal about this phone but came out with alot problems
  6. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 New Member

Plenty of people have returned the Droid as well. Some people don't give phones a chance, some people get bad phones and don't seem to understand how production works (a certain % of bad anything is acceptable as long as it's within the correct range for companies), and some people are just idiots.

You post this as if it's supposed to be a good thing for the droid, but it's not. Nexus one and the droid are NOT rivals.
  7. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I read that the Droid doesn't have an actual dedicated GPU. Here's a quote from someone much more knowledgeable than me:

"The OMAP3430 is a SOC (system on a chip) that's basically all the components of a motherboard and an integrated GPU on a single chip. Why add a second GPU on a second chip instead of specifying a different SOC design? The whole purpose of the SOC is integration (reduced component costs) and reduced power usage. A dedicated GPU goes against the whole design philosophy."
  8. Million

Million New Member

Exactly... I'm sure N1 is a great phone but it won't be perfect... people WILL return their phones... why focus on the negative?
  9. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

Not really ... I post this for people that are considering makeing a move ... your pretty active on this Forum and probably noticed alot of threads asking the same question over and over should I make the change??????
  10. CorvetteAustin24

If people want to switch let them, doesn't affect me in any way. I don't think a post will stop bad forum members from making posts without searching for topics though.
  11. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

True I guess you make a point... But NOT in any was I posting cause Theres a compitition between the nexus one and the Droid.. just that it gets annoying when people create new threads asking the same question, trying to be a little helpfull I guess
  12. CorvetteAustin24

Ya it can get annoying at times. Such is the way of forums.
  13. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Google's customer service is the issue here...there isn't any where near enough. I think they grossly under estimated the consumer market with mobile devices in terms of the customer service needs.
  14. triptych

triptych New Member

"The OMAP3430 is a SOC (system on a chip) that's basically all the components of a motherboard and basically all the components of a motherboard and an integrated GPU on a single chip. Why add a second GPU on a second chip instead of specifying a different SOC design? The whole purpose of the SOC is integration (reduced component costs) and reduced power usage. A dedicated GPU goes reduced power usage. A dedicated GPU goes against the whole design philosophy."

I would like confirmation on this too.
  15. soyboy

soyboy New Member

I'm not flaming the OP, but if the Nexus was the best phone, you would not have taken it back. It's only the best phone if it works. This one still has some wrinkles to get ironed out. It also can only be the best phone if it is on the best phone network, because no matter how fast the processor or how many features you have, if you cannot use it because of a weak network then it isn't the best phone. The best network in the US for most folks is VZW. The best smartphone on VZW right now is the Droid (even though it has it's issues). Next month it may be something else, maybe even the Nexus once it is on VZW. Now if you need a world phone that is a different story. The best phone is all about reliablity, usability (strong network).
  16. 640k

640k New Member

what that says, to me, is that those components really are "tasked" as dedicated resources so that they actually act like dedicated resources. picture a container with compartments. now picture the same container without those compartments.

container A will have individualized areas that make it easy for you to quickly identify and sort through what you want.

container B will be a mash of everything you've thrown in there and you'll get lost trying to find every little piece.

while the GPU is not a separate chip on a different bridge within a subsystem, it is being compartmentalized to be more efficient and act like it were.
  17. marcfogel

marcfogel New Member

Exactly. Google doesn't seem to understand this. They have this same problem with all their products. I had an issue with Postini / Google Apps. Took a week for them to reply. I did try calling and got bounced around. I recently switched from iPhone to Android becuase of AT&T crappy service. On the device side, Apple support has been outstanding. If Google doesn't get it together by the time the iPhone is offered on Verizon, I will switch to the iPhone, on Verizon of course.

Priorities-
    I want a phone that works, coverage etc.
    I want device support without being bounced around.
    Software that does not always seem to be in Beta
    Apps

Google need to grow up and Fast!
  18. greg_p

greg_p New Member

That's not true. Cortexa8 is not and has never been a multiprocessor.
  19. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Too bad the N1 feels like a Plastic Toy....
  20. greg_p

greg_p New Member

[​IMG]

And by the way, the next generation:
    [​IMG]