PE 4.2 or UD 2.5..

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
I know were all part of the DROID family & we try to help one anotha out. IYO, which one is better? They're both the last Froyo roms for each developer & I'm just curious.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

shadowdweller

Reaction score
I've tried both of them. I switched from UD 2.5 to PE 4.2 but in all honesty, I don't see too much different between the two of them. However, UD crapped out on me a few times even after doing a fresh install every time. PE 4.2 runs SUPER fast though... the stock font in PE has got to go.. it's ugly

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
I've tried both of them. I switched from UD 2.5 to PE 4.2 but in all honesty, I don't see too much different between the two of them. However, UD crapped out on me a few times even after doing a fresh install every time. PE 4.2 runs SUPER fast though... the stock font in PE has got to go.. it's ugly

Yeah the font is ugly on PE, I must admit. I've only ran PE on my phone, and I loved how fast and smooth it was. My doubts about it and any froyo rom is how will my battery last? That's my deal breaker. I haven't ran UD 2.5 tho so I can't speak on it, from what I read tho, it has had its problems......

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just like any other ROM it can be. BTW CM6 is Froyo & worth flashing.

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
Just flashed CM.. 6 & 7.. and both are not really my favorites.. The top two at the moment are Ultimate Droid and Project Elite..

Now, it's between Ultimate Droid 2.5, 3.3, Project Elite 4.2, or 5.02..

I dont know..
U.D. 3.3 is cool but im tired of the whole memory management thing.. Same on P.E. 5.02

lindel

Reaction score
I get pretty decent battery life out of all of them, even overclocked, all day with moderate use, 8 to 10 hours with heavy use.

I haven't tried UD 2.5 lately, but I have noticed that Weatherbug Elite only seems to like PE 4.2. I still have to try it with Chevy 4.96 and UD 2.5, but it doesn't work with ShadowRom 0.2.2, or with CyanogenMod 6.1.2. It will still give a status bar indication of temp, but will force close any time you try to open it up.

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
UD works good too. I too hate the default font in P.E. 4.2, and applying the honeycomb theme changes the font to the same default in U.D.... && with my memory tweaks, I think P.E. 4.2 is home for now..

jchammer123

Reaction score
P.E. was much mor stable for me hands down. I always had issues with U.D for some reason.

djbrent2

Reaction score
i've tried maybe 3 of the GB roms for a few releases and decided not to use it. i'm going to a music festival in May and don't want any GPS/nav problems or camera problems. it also ran too slow, even after locking home. i went back to PE 4.2. all of the themes are linked from one post, and there's enough that almost any one should find something. i'm on Faded. i can finally stop wiping and changing things until my Nov/Dec upgrade. i then came here and checked a couple of others for the last Froyo release and themes, but the only ROM i could find themes for was UD 2.5. there weren't very many that i saw. i chose not to use it because the lock screen had "emergency calls only" on it and because it was too much work to look for the themes. you could always ignore that or go back even further, but then you need to scan through a lot of posts to try to find themes that might not even have links. i hope my next phone is the Galaxy S2. my OG has the faulty headphone jack, which got me looking for a pmp. i'll buy a Cowon D3 with Android in June! no more blank discs, Alpine IVA-W505 can stop telling me "disc error" and PS3 can stop being terrible for video playback. :icon_ banana:

lindel

Reaction score
After a quick install of UD 2.5, Weatherbug Elite also works with it! So, for me, it'll either be PE 4.2, or UD 2.5.

I do like the GB roms, but they're too unstable or not functional for stuff that I want/need. I'll stick with froyo for a while longer, probably til I upgrade.

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
There are 28 themes for UD 2.5.. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ultimatedroid/105852-themes-ultimate-droid-2-5-0-all-devices-updated-2-11-11-a.html..

P.E. 4.2 themes.. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/project-elite/130610-pe-4-2-themes-links.html

but like we all kinda mentioned, PE is a lot more stable & faster and has enough themes for now & thas why I'm back on PE. I hope there's a P.E. 4.3 upgrade.. that would be legit.. Me & GB will have to meet up again late summer when my upgrade is available.

Last edited: