PdaNet???

NYZ93

Reaction score
Will verizon charge me for using this if i dont have the tethering plan?

Were do i download it for my comp

elgordo123

Reaction score
PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

I used this on my old Windows Mobile phone and on my Droid. I only use it when I am away from home and cant find a wireless connection or need my laptop to get on the internet for short periods of time. Verizon does not want people using this program and from what I have heard that if you use it a lot you might get caught and be billed for the data usage (mucho dinero).
Maybe someone that uses it more than I can chime in, but for me, it is great for when I am away from home and need to get on the internet quickly for short periods of time - and not using it for large file transfers, torrents, etc, etc.

kountryj

Reaction score
I've been using it for about a week. Only problems I've had with it is reconnecting every now and then. To me its better downloading the program off of the net instead of the market. They give it to you somewhat free on the market, you just can't go to secure sites. If you download it online then its unlimited for 2 weeks then you either buy it or not. My phone was rooted and there is also a tether app you can download that works pretty well.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Verizon can't charge you. They only see your usage which is unlimited!

If you read the misconception on 'unlimited data' you would know there is a 5gig cap on data.

The sticky thread from Verizon reps also mentions that: If you go over your 5gig transfer they will mostly likely charge you the additional $30(on top of your $30 data package) for using the phone as a tether.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I've been using it for about 2 months and chew up 3GB per month. I haven't seen any charges from Verizon. I don't torrent or stream media so I don't think I show up on their radar.

It should be available in the Android market... Here, let me Google that for you.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon can't charge you. They only see your usage which is unlimited!

If you read the misconception on 'unlimited data' you would know there is a 5gig cap on data.

The sticky thread from Verizon reps also mentions that: If you go over your 5gig transfer they will mostly likely charge you the additional $30(on top of your $30 data package) for using the phone as a tether.

Hmmmmm......don't see the sticky anymore. Either its been moved or its gone.

When I read it, there was no 5gig cap with phone usage. Tethering yes. The question then arises, how does verizon tell the difference between some one who uses over 5gb with just phone usage, and one who tethers.

Last edited:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If you're exceeding 5GB per month you're probably streaming data. They can see what ip address you used and if its from, let's say, Hulu they'll know that you're probably tethering. Or if you're getting data through a torrent portal they'll know pretty easily. I'm sure someone will come along with the more technical ins and outs of it.

BravoDown

Reaction score
pdanet

i just bought a motorola droid today and tried using pdanet for gaming with my laptop while working overnights. according to pdanet on my droid, i played the game heroes of newerth for about 30 min and it only used up about 11mb of data (and i used about twice as much data in about half the time just browing the web). since there are 5120mb in 5gb of data, that equates to roughly 232 hours of playing heroes of newerth. if i only used pdanet about 2-3 hours a night for roughly 15 days out of a month, does anyone think this would be a problem for being charged extra from verizon for tethering, etc.? this would only be about 660-990mb of usage per month (less than 1gb of the 5gb of a normal tethering plan, although such a plan is not currently offered for my phone) so i doubt anything bad would come from it as far as verizon charging me up the backside.

Varking

Reaction score
I have been using PDANet on my Droid since last December. I probably use it to tether around 24 days out of the month for roughly two to three hours a night and haven't seen an additional charge on my bills yet.

zMd113

Reaction score
Yeah I just bought the full version for shopping online etc. It works great I'm so glad I found it. But I haven't received my first bill from Verison yet so I'm using it sparingly, mostly I'm on my Incredible anyway.

BravoDown

Reaction score
I talked to a friend of mine who works for a company that does customer service for verizon and he said they would not and cannot charge a customer for using an app that is available on the phone, including pdanet.

BravoDown

Reaction score
I know with the free version of pdanet after 30 days can only view unsecured websites, but can the free version still be used for gaming online?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK first off the misconception on data is that there is "NO" 5 GB cap on data, if your using the phone as it's intended there is no cap on the amount of data that you use. The key word here folks is the "as it's intended" part. If you use your droid and stream music to it for a couple hours everyday while your at work and also watch some youtube movies in HD, and surf the web, read your email; the likely hood of you coming close to that 5GB or even over is pretty big. Verizon knows this and that's why your plan is for unlimited data.

Where you will come into problems is that once you go over that 5GB, you do kinda get eyed with what kind of data you use, and they may even want to look into it further, if you are using the device as intended, there isn't going to be a problem at all. If though for some reason they catch you downloading stuff, or right this second for some, watching flash movies, and just being completely obvious that this isn't the phone doing this, they have all the right in the world to charge you for the data used.