PDANet

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by ccps, May 3, 2011.

1. ccps

ccps New Member

I got a message from App Brain that there was an update fro PDANet. So I indicated to update from the market and got an error. When I search the market it does nto show up for me on my Tbolt. I had a friend try it on his Incred and another on his X. Same result. I had another friend try it on his original Moto and it shows up in his market. When I got my tbolt I was able to find and install PDANet 2.45. Now 3.0 is out. In my limited test it seems to be not available to HTC users. Anybody else see this?
  2. jimmiem

jimmiem New Member

PDANet and other tethering apps are being blocked by Verizon and a few other carriers. I think ultimately this is going to be monumentally bad for Google to allow because it will drive Android owners to use Amazon's app store.

I had not considered the ramifications for users who had already bought these items. Not being able to update something which you have rightfully purchased could blow up in Verizon's face. I would call to complain. Your one call might not get results but if enough people call in with the same problem Verizon may be forced to deal with it.
  3. ccps

ccps New Member

That Sucks. I even went to fabrics website and clicked on the link to install it directly from their site. It just sat and the page and never worked. I have a support call into Fabrics. I will post their response. And your right. I paid for it so I might have to demand my money back. Easy teather is also missing but it is on Amazon.
  4. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

The crystal ball says PdaNet will appear in the Amazon Appstore shortly :)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app
  5. LinuxHack3r

LinuxHack3r New Member

I hope so! I installed the Amazon app store just for this reason.
    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  6. ccps

ccps New Member

Got an install error trying to install easytether from the Amazon app store? What the?????? App starts to down load then quits with an error.
  7. ccps

ccps New Member

Never mind. My fault on the install error.
  8. Dancwme

Dancwme New Member

how to install PDANET

I found this guide on I can't download pdanet nor easytether from the market. Why?

It worked on my thunderbolt htc

You have to turn your phone off, take out the SIM card, turn the phone back on, and connect to a wifi network. Then, try searching for the tethering apps in the market. Once you find one and install, you can turn the phone off and reinsert the SIM card.
  9. nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie Member

Ya I was wondering how this would play out myself. The thing is, tethering without paying for tethering violates your contract with verizon. So, you were technically stealing access to the verizon network while using the app.

Furthermore, you bought the app from the developer not from Verizon so they don't owe you anything.

You should try to get a refund from the developer but personally I don't think it is deserved.
  10. ccps

ccps New Member

I tried the side load procedure. No go. Took my simm out. got on wifi. went to market. PDANEt and Easytether are still not available.
  11. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

Even if they are on Amazon's app store I don't believe the purchases would transfer.
  12. ccps

ccps New Member

I just bought easytether and it transferred and installed.
  13. DroidStang

DroidStang New Member

My question is.....I just used the version of PDANet I installed weeks ago, not updated and still works....is there a reason to update?
  14. ccps

ccps New Member

According to the site
    Version 3.0 improves performance and fixes multiple connection issues. Now allows you to hide Tether usage.

So yes. I would say so. Especially if you can hide your tethering!!
  15. DroidStang

DroidStang New Member

I thought the whole deal behind, free tether....EasyTether and PDAnet were was not tracked anyways.....I tether all day long and under data usage it is 0? only time it showed data use under my account on verizon was when i downloaded Lets golf2, i had $4 for data use, I called said wait though I had unlimited, played dumb that I did not use tethering, they said how that program cost $4 so show as data, so my tethering use does not show?
  16. techguru

techguru Member

They don't currently track tethering using any of these alternate applications, but it is trivially easy for them to sniff the data packets if they suspect someone is tethering and determine that the packets originated from something other than the phone. I do not believe that PDANet could successfully mask that either and am eager to hear how the developer thinks this is possible.

It would not be practical for Verizon (or any carrier) to use this method on all users, but if someone is using excessive amounts of data, more than they think a phone can generate, they could easily investigate it and prove that tethering was occurring.

If you are only doing it occasionally for urgent situations, it is unlikely that they really care, but if you are using your phone as your primary ISP and using more than 5-10 gig per month, than they may get suspicious, and by the terms of service you agreed to in your contract they can terminate your account, terminate your data plan, or bill you retroactively for the tethering. Even though their rates border on extortion, it is safer to pay the $20/month and watch your tethering usage than trying to cheat the system.

Alan
  17. DroidStang

DroidStang New Member

I might use less than a gig a month, I only tether when have to, to be truthful, i can do everything on my TB I can do on my Netbook and just about do!
  18. DroidStang

DroidStang New Member

Even with free hot spot til 15 May, i never used....no need, it does not replace my Mega Bucks costing Time warner rip off internet service, only use in a pinch so $20 a month would be robbing me for the small amount I would need to do something on a computer, but I can Bank, do insurance, email on 2 accounts, internet searchs, Navigation,....Hell my Garmin Numvi has almost became useless, the TB even shows the building in Satellite mode when driving LOL
  19. techguru

techguru Member

I seriously doubt that at less than a Gig verizon would do anything about it even if they knew. They are trying to stop the serious abusers, and asking Google to block the apps from the market is much simpler than doing the level of investigation they would need to in order to actually stop all "illegal" tethering.

Give it a couple of weeks and there will be other ways to get pdanet or other apps for those committed to using them either on principal (because Verizon's tethering rates are highway robbery) or for occasional users like you where a monthly plan doesn't make sense.

I have been using my free tether enough that I am considering purchasing the plan even though I consider it exorbitant. Their crack pusher free sample has had an effect, and I like having data on multiple devices wherever I am.... Of course, as a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council, I got a Xoom and most of my other Android devices for free, so I can throw a few bucks back at them for data that I otherwise would not feel I could afford.

Alan
  20. DroidStang

DroidStang New Member

I'm sort of same boat, BB Admin and have a tether plan on my BB, which cost the company $10 a month on Verizon, free to me and plus I will now have access to iPhone and iPad soone and the BB Playbook, so i have too mnay resources to pay $20 a month.
Search tags for this page
how to hide tether pdanet 2.41
how to sideload pdanet
install pdanet 2.45 on phone
pda.net download thunderbolt verizon

pdanet 3.0 apk download

pdanet for playbook

pdanet level 1 or level 2 2013
pdanet on unrooted galaxy s3

pdanet sideload

sideload pdanet

sideload pdanet android