PDANet Tethering

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sounds, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Sounds

Sounds New Member

Okay, so I have recently bought my Motorola Droid and I decided to check out this tethering stuff. I downloaded PDANet and I was a go on my laptop. I just started reading about fees that Verizon might charge me? I've only used around 100mb of data from PDANet (A few days of just some browsing) not much. Will I get charged? I uninstalled PDANet and such. I also do have the Unlimited Data Plan (since it is supposedly needed by the phone to work and all).
  2. fucco

fucco New Member

no i have been using it since jan with no problems. u have a unlimited data plan so u are covered. i use bout 4-5 gigs a month surfing web
  3. Sounds

Sounds New Member

That's such a relief. I didn't want to have to pay around 180 dollars to cover this months expenses (Due to activation, Plan, and a partial phone charge).
  4. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

if they find out you are tethering they can bill you for all data used and a early contract termination fee if they want to be really d***s but i do not know anyone that has been busted if being smart about it
  5. Sounds

Sounds New Member

May I ask what makes it easy to be caught tethering? It's my first month with the phone and I don't want to be charged for 100mb of data use. It seems that it would be a lot of money. And on top of that, having my phone canceled will suck too. I uninstalled it cause I got rather scared about it.
  6. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

Large amounts of data, I mean extremely large.

If you uses 10 gig's in awwek, they will most liekly be able to put together that it didn't all happen on your tiny phone.

I would serach though, there are numerous threads on the subject. Many saying why you'll be fine, many saying how you will get caught.
  7. Sounds

Sounds New Member

Well considering I have only used 100mb, I'll stop now since I do have internet at home, plus I don't want to be some sort of data hog anyways. Thanks for the help, as far as I have seen on other threads, I guess 100mb's would most likely be under the radar, hopefully. Thanks so much.
  8. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

your well under radar as im mid move and have not had time to set up internet at home im using maybe 50mb-100mb a night after work just browsing forums and what not
  9. Sounds

Sounds New Member

I checked my online account this morning to see this:
    Domestic
    Mobile Broadband Connect
    Data Used
    Usage Type My Usage Kilobytes 0.00KB

I'm guessing I got caught? Or is that always there?

Edit: I guess its always there, I just checked my mothers account and she has never tethered or anything.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  10. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

are you on the 50$ or 30$ internet plan on your phone because that looks like the term they used for the 50$ one I thought they changed it on the 30$ one but then again i have not look at the bill in years
  11. Sounds

Sounds New Member

I'm on the $30 unlimited data plan.
  12. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

what is the point of the $50 plan if the $30 one I'm on is already unlimited, very confused.
  13. polaris20

polaris20 New Member

Isn't PDANet largely irrelevant after 2.2 is released anyway? That should have wifi tethering, unless Verizon mucks with it and adds on an additional fee. They didn't do that for the GPS though, so hopefully they don't do it with wifi hotspot.
  14. LtKen

LtKen New Member

There are varying schools of thought on this. I dont want to drag up old arguments, because they simply get nasty. I'll just apply logic and maybe you can follow me....

Verizon doesn't want to let you use their network for free (data on the phone is meant to stay on the phone), which is why things like PDANet are expressly forbidden in your terms of service.

I find it hard to believe that Verizon will allow the Google tether app without changing data plans, or charging a fee, or something. This is different from GPS and it's related apps, because GPS on the Droid doesnt use the VZW network, save for downloading maps, so it doesnt really 'cost' Verizon anything to let you use it, they simply wont make any money off you.

Again, no one knows for sure, and no one will really know until something happens. All we can do is apply logic, reason, and standard business practices, and make an educated guess.
  15. polaris20

polaris20 New Member

That was my thought process too, given Verizon's track record. However perhaps the only saving grace is that the Droid is a "Google Experience" phone, so perhaps they won't charge for it. Ah, we'll see, I guess. :D
  16. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Exactly, we'll know when we know.
  17. polaris20

polaris20 New Member

Until then, I think I shall find a way to root the phone and add in either PDANet or Barnacle.
  18. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

if you root and use bekits kernals you dont need pdanet for wire tether theres a free pretty sure open source tether app for it that works just like the wifi tether one
  19. StogyJones

StogyJones New Member

20. 4cefed

4cefed New Member

If you are still that worried about it, avoid downloading stuff like windows updates or other data that couldn't possibly be used on a phone. If there is a mobile version of a website (that actually functions,) try browsing that one. I've been using PDAnet on and off for almost a year and I haven't had any problems.
Search tags for this page
android phone data usage 17876

can verizon detect pdanet

does pda net charge to your cell your bill
does pdanet charge data

does pdanet cost money

does pdanet cost money on verizon

does pdanet cost money?
does pdanet use data

does using pdanet cost money

does using pdanet cost money verizon
does verizon see me using pdanet
how can i stop pdanet using too much data?
pdanet and data charges
pdanet verizon
pdanet verizon bill