pdanet tethering and world of warcraft is a no go

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by Squidpoker, Dec 26, 2009.

1. -JD-

-JD- New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you can try to install azilink.. and run openvpn on your computer.. works without root and it's free :)

2. mrbear5503

mrbear5503 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i have a question.... is there anyway that you can get billed for using this app and playing WoW or like Counter-Strike, or using like netflicks and downloading movies?

3. bL33d

bL33d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Things that are obvious like downloading large movie files will most likely make it easier for them to spot you as suspicious.

4. mrbear5503

mrbear5503 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    right.... but would i get billed for playing WoW or other games??

#16 mrbear5503, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We can't answer that for you, as we don't work for Verizon or know exactly what they monitor.

But considering the aspects of everything, bandwidth is the number one risk for getting caught.

Just so everyone knows, playing online games do not usually use much data at all. Downloading the updates or patches or expansions can, however, be large at times. But just playing the game would probably be fine.

With that said, latency/ping/ is pretty high compared to a home network. So don't be surprised if you get shot before you even see the guy come around the corner, or get ganked by a bunch of monsters before you can cast fire blast.

Keep an eye on your monthly usage. Most users here don't get anywhere near 5GB a month using our phones. The most I saw was one guy said he had 4.8 or so GB of data.

Now consider a single movie is usually at least a few hundred MBs. So you can rack up 1GB or more by only watching maybe 2 movies. So if you were Verizon and you saw an account go from using 1-3GB a month to using 10+ GB a month, what would you think?

I hope this answers the question of "will this or that get me billed". The answer is more simple than you think. Does whatever you want to do use a lot of data? If it does, then the chances are much higher than something that does not.

Just use some common sense and you will be fine.

If you don't know howm uch data something uses, maybe you should search for some free computer software to monitor your data/bandwidth to give you an idea, and stop if its too much data.

6. mattman011

mattman011 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can u play wow

Wait by the sounds of all this it sounds like u can play wow on the droid I was told u couldn't if u can please tell me how that works

7. FRATBoy

FRATBoy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot play WoW on the droid per se. What this thread is talking about is using the droid to provide an internet connection to a PC and playing WoW on the PC.

Also, punctuation is for winners.

8. mattman011

mattman011 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    O that sucks cause I'm a big horde wow player but thanks and I hate how the iphone could play wow and the droid cant

9. Pjohn91

Pjohn91 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Go I phone................uhhhhh wait.........no wait!!! Go Droid!!!

lol

10. FRATBoy

FRATBoy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Again...you cannot play WoW on a mobile device, per se.

World of Warcraft Runs on iPhone... Mostly - Apple - Gizmodo

It is running a streamed connection from a PC that is running WoW...

"It's done using Vollee, which is used to stream games over 3G, so the video is actually just a stream and the rendering is done on the PC."

There is also talk of running the Armory and the Auction Houses via an iphone app - World of Warcraft auctions coming to iPhone ? Register Hardware

Remember, if you stream games over 3G, you are going to get super slow framerates. You arent going to be able to raid or anything of the sort...

11. stewbeef

stewbeef New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    iphone+pdanet+wow = yes

That 'streaming' solution looks to be more trouble than it would ever be worth.

However, playing WOW on a laptop tethered to iphone running pdanet works like a charm, even out of 3G reach.

Raiding, vent, the whole deal - 3G is excellent, no problems. "EDGE" performance is more than adequate, although too much chatting on vent can increase latency.

Also, an hour raiding on WOW uses a fraction of the data of an hour of surfing the internet.

12. nmoore125

nmoore125 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was just on vacation with my daughter. When she went to bed I played wow. I used wireless tethering and had absolutely no problem playing on my macbook pro. Pings were in the upper 200s. Not perfect but certainly playable.

I also tried pdanet cause I was curious and it was much worse. Pings in the 600s.

Search tags for this page
250kps wow
can't ping with pdanet
cant connect to wow using pdanet
how to speed up tethered connection
pda.net block torrent
pdanet for gaming
pdanet open ports

pdanet ports

pdanet world of warcraft

wow over pdanet