PDAnet install and setup (guide)

SitSamBry

Reaction score
So in case anyone is making the move from OG droid to this wonderful crisp Droid 3 and was previously using PDAnet you may have had the same problem as me trying to get it on the Droid 3 and working.

I may have a unique case but I figured I'd share to possibly help others if they are in the same boat.

If you were using titanium backup on the OG droid you should have PDAnet .apk file backed up on there. Copy it off and simply load it on the Droid 3 using your PC or other method. I placed it in the internal storage download folder. Then use ASTRO or another file explorer to find it and install it. Make sure "unknown sources" is checked off in applications settings because this is a new phone (i forgot this one myself because I had checked that box two years ago on my OG droid). Install and it should be working fine using the same USB tethered method you used previously.

I tested mine out but only for a few seconds. I am still unsure if Verizon is going to monitor and pinpoint uses of this, on my OG droid i never was contacted by them and I used it fairly regularly (once a month) to help in a pinch when working on writing for my blog.

Anyway hope this helped or at least you enjoyed reading. Loving this phone.

howzball

Reaction score
On my D3 I just went straight to the PDANet website, installed the version on their website onto my computer, plugged in the D3 and it does all the work.
You probably still need to allow unknown sources though.

Anyway, it's an alternate method.

MarcStier

Reaction score
Bluetooth DUN over Verizon?

I have PDAnet working fine when tethered. But when I try to use it over Bluetooth DUN, I can't get internet access and a screen pops up on my browser from Verizon telling me I need to pay them $20 a month for internet access.

Anyone else have this problem and know a work around?

Thanks for your help.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. Dumb Verizon..
[video=youtube;uVwcMcVdn8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwcMcVdn8Q&feature=related"][/video]

localmuaythai

Reaction score
I have PDAnet working fine when tethered. But when I try to use it over Bluetooth DUN, I can't get internet access and a screen pops up on my browser from Verizon telling me I need to pay them $20 a month for internet access.

Anyone else have this problem and know a work around?

Thanks for your help.

Same problem here. Dumb Verizon..

[GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3 - xda-developers

dancedroid

at first i wasn't going to release it... but i figured it wasn't mine to keep secret... the power of free wifi tethering belonged to the community.

- faylix / local

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Can't you just use the built in 3g tether the droid 3 offers?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People don't use it cause it costs money.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

windsmith

Reaction score
It costs money AND it doesn't work. The 3G data connection drops randomly - every few seconds to a few hours. Mostly every few seconds though.

shinobi13

Reaction score
Thanks!

Works like a charm. Thanks. Will come in handy on those trips were this is no free-wifi for my lappy.

Dankis

Reaction score
never tried pda net

BUT ive used easy teather for quite some time now , droid 1 ,experia ,droid 3 and as long as you follow the instructions ive never once had a singleproblem, nothing but smooth sailing (except the varying speeds , but that all changes if/when u purchase full version not the free trial that needs to be re installed