PDANet and being dropped to 1xRTT

erasmus354

Reaction score
I recently got PDANet installed and have been using it at work to do some browsing on my laptop. I have noticed lately that after a little while I will get dropped down to 1xRTT. If I disconnect the phone from the tether it almost immediately goes right back to 3G. Is Verizon detecting the tethering and deliberately dropping me from 3G?

Is anyone else having a similar issue?

pilot25

Reaction score
Update it on the pdanet website. I did that and it's working great for me right now.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Update it on the pdanet website. I did that and it's working great for me right now.

Or call VZW and ask them....lol
That would be an interesting call.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
This is WAY LATE, but I know what you mean, I don't have PdaNet yet, but back with my Palm Pixi Plus, using the Mobile Hotspot feature, it would drop from 3G to 1x if I tethered for about an hour or so. To get it back to 3G, I have to disable Mobile Hotspot and wait like 5 minutes....

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I'm all of a sudden having this problem with Wireless Tether for Root Users. I'll tether and after 8 minutes my 3G will disappear and I'll have 1X until I restart. I think this is something put in place by Verizon to halt tethering.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I'm all of a sudden having this problem with Wireless Tether for Root Users. I'll tether and after 8 minutes my 3G will disappear and I'll have 1X until I restart. I think this is something put in place by Verizon to halt tethering.

I hope not! But it sure does seem that way... Of course if you tether with PdaNet, then Verizon can't tell you're tethering, they see it as regular smartphone usage, so why would they cut you off 3G for using "smartphone data"? And I would like to hear from someone who still has this problem after tethering with their phone next to a window the whole time.

jetman

Reaction score
I have the latest update of Froyo 2.2 and the latest revision of PDAnet ver. 2.45, and am actually tethering to my laptop as I type this. I've been on almost an hour now and my phone still has the 3G in the task bar. You might make sure you have the latest version of PDAnet. I don't think it's a Verizon intervention.