PC World

tu3218

Reaction score
yeah I love the droid's free navigation. And key word is FREE. The thing I think I love most about the droids gps/navigation is how quickly it connects and locates. I think my average time is like 8 seconds. Its incredible!! I don't know how it does it, my garmin takes 1-3 min to connect.

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
I have used mine twice and both times it performed outstanding. One thing I like about google maps is the free updates. I think with TomTom and Garmin you have to purchase the updates yearly. Not sure about that however.

tu3218

Reaction score
I have used mine twice and both times it performed outstanding. One thing I like about google maps is the free updates. I think with TomTom and Garmin you have to purchase the updates yearly. Not sure about that however.

how do you update the maps on the droid? Do they just happen automatically?

Laurence5905

Reaction score

The maps are stored on Google's servers, not on your Droid, so when Google updates their maps, you've got the update automatically the next time you use Google Nav.

And one thing that wasn't even mentioned in that article was the fact that you can SPEAK to the Droid to have it find your destination. Press the microphone button on the Google Search Bar, and say "Navigate To <address>." I swear, that has worked for me nearly every single time... I do that to show off to my friends how awesome the Droid is. (Then I fast-forward through the directions to the end, and pop up a street-view of their house. That's ALWAYS good for a "holy $h*t" from them. :))

JayMonster

Reaction score

You are quite correct (with their standalone products), for my wife's Garmin it is almost $90 for updated maps... it is almost at a point where it is just cheaper to by a new GPS every year. Or it was... until the Droid.

will.anaya

Reaction score

if you go to the market you will see the google maps app there. download it (it will tell you that it will replace the one currently on your device). then after you do that, it will notifiy you of any further updates just like the other apps you purchased.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
if you go to the market you will see the google maps app there. download it (it will tell you that it will replace the one currently on your device). then after you do that, it will notifiy you of any further updates just like the other apps you purchased.

That updates the Google Maps software, not the database of maps. The maps database itself is stored on Google's servers, not on your Droid.

And I never downloaded Google Maps -- but I still got an update notice from Google when the Maps software was updated. So apparently it will notify you, even if you don't manually download Google Maps from the Market.